Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

ALLEN PRECISION Teaser...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
SPONSOR

Re: ALLEN PRECISION Teaser...

Sorry for the OT Kirby!

Brian,
I have Gen 1 300 grainers. Can I return those, and get them replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
FYI,

Gen 2 of the 300 grain Berger Hybrid has passed it's torture testing up to 3300+ fps in a necked down .408 (or .416?) case so it's good until at least that velocity.

-Bryan
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Brian,
I have Gen 1 300 grainers. Can I return those, and get them replaced?
Yes.

Email Eric Stecker and he will give you instructions to arrange the exchange:

eric.stecker@bergerbullets.com

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bryan,

How would one go about getting their hands on a supply of them for testing in my 338 Ultra Maxx(2950 fps), 338 Allen Xpress (3000 fps), 338 Raptor (3150 fps) and 338 Allen Magnum (3300-3400 fps).

I would love to be fully endorsing your 338 bullets so let me know how to get some Gen 2s for testing!!! Do not want them free by any means, want to buy them for testing and for use!!!

Thanks for the update. I am sure that the test rifle was based on a 408 wildcat, the 416 based should not be able to produce that level of velocity unless they do not mind decapping the cases at the same time they fire them!!

Let me know.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Great to hear you are still pushing the envelope Kirby. I don't think any of us doubt the wrinkles will get ironed out.

Can we see some pics of the prototypes rounds?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Camshaft,

It will look outstanding I am sure. I have not tested that bullet but will when the ballistic testing begins with the new design. Hopefully the Hornady bullet will handle the velocity potential. In past tests, most of the A-Max bullets have similiar velocity limits as the Berger bullets, around 3200-3250 fps. I am hoping the 300 Raptor will be able to reach this level of velocity in my Raptor LRSS rifles.

Time will tell!!!
Testing should be interesting on the hornady as they recently changed over to their AMP jackets. I'm not sure if this is a whole new jacket design or just a more precise way of drawing them. But regardless it will be interesting. I have 200 of the 225gr hornadys sitting on the bench along with 50 240gr smk's, 50 210gr smk's, 100 210gr Berger match vlds and 100 208gr Amaxs. I'm going to start some terminal performance testing and try to get some solid minimum impact velocities across the board. Should prove informative, especially when choosing a bullet and twist rate for this bad boy as soon as funds are available. I was pretty much set on a 300/338 lapua improved. But this changes things.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent, I would have done the same thing already if I was still fooling with this stuff. Amazing that the past year I have been considering getting a reamer built extending the shoulder and shortening the neck just as you described to have the biggest baddest 338 that will fit on a lightweight action for hunting. When Jamison came out with the cheaper and better brass that really turned me on to it. I have a project I am working on now and when finished this summer I was starting the reamer process for virtually the same thing you have described. Now I am holding off to see what yours does.

My opinion is this will be a fantastic cartridge meeting your expectations. The real beauty is it fitting on your Raptor action making it available in a hunting weight carry rifle. When you are ready let me know how much for this in the Raptor. No need me fooling with it when you can build me one. Please PM me and let me know how to pursue getting one of these and a time frame. Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Camshaft,

It will look outstanding I am sure. I have not tested that bullet but will when the ballistic testing begins with the new design. Hopefully the Hornady bullet will handle the velocity potential. In past tests, most of the A-Max bullets have similiar velocity limits as the Berger bullets, around 3200-3250 fps. I am hoping the 300 Raptor will be able to reach this level of velocity in my Raptor LRSS rifles.

Time will tell!!!
Testing should be interesting on the hornady as they recently changed over to their AMP jackets. I'm not sure if this is a whole new jacket design or just a more precise way of drawing them. But regardless it will be interesting. I have 200 of the 225gr hornadys sitting on the bench along with 50 240gr smk's, 50 210gr smk's, 100 210gr Berger match vlds and 100 208gr Amaxs. I'm going to start some terminal performance testing and try to get some solid minimum impact velocities across the board. Should prove informative, especially when choosing a bullet and twist rate for this bad boy as soon as funds are available. I was pretty much set on a 300/338 lapua improved. But this changes things.