Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Allen Mags finally broke in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 AM
SPONSOR

Allen Mags finally broke in

I went out last night hoping to finally get my 270 Allen Mag broke in. I took a buddy of mine along so he could test some loads in his 7mm Rem Mag for a upcoming mule deer hunt in october.

We set up out trusty gong at 660yds along with a paper target next to it. We also set up our standard 100yd target for load development.

After confirming my 100yd zero I proceeded to dial up my scope to what my ballistic program called for. 10 moa up was what it recommended for the 169.5 at 3230fps. After 2 shots the gong was still having a good day with no new dents in it.

My buddy began firing his sporter browning a-bolt at it but never connected. I then fired 3 shots at the paper target to get a idea of where my adjustments were off. When we examined the target I was just over 5 inches high and a good 8 inches left.

That damn bullet bucks the wind great and just floats out there. I got back to my bench and took 1.25moa off of elevation and took all but 3 clicks of wind out as well. the wind was gusting a little over 10mph kinda quartering toward us.

I leveled the crosshairs on the gong and touched the 10oz trigger. By the time I got back on the gong in my scope it was already flying backwards. The ring of the gon being hit was quite a bit louder than when we used to hit it with the 125gr 30 cal in our 300 rums going nearly 4k fps.

I loaded up another round and watched my second shot land about 2 inches under the first shot. I was being impatient and shooting the gong while it still swinging so this exaggerated the spread of the shots.

My third shot glided under the gong as it was swinging away from me so I was a little upset but had I let the gong come to a rest I know all 3 shots would have been real tight.

After this I only had 3 shots to go until I was through with the break in so while I was cleaning it my buddy duct taped a quarter to our 100yd target.

This was a old tradition when we were kids we would shot quarters or nickels and put them on our key chains.

3 shots later George Washington was having a real bad day. 2 shots landed on his head and the third just tore out the corner of the quarter.

I will try to post a pic of the quarter later. I am extremely pleased with the rifle and I am starting to not hate the stock so much though it is still not my favorite.

This weekend the Allen Mag is gonna lay waste to some pdogs so me and ugly, I mean BJ will definantly have some pics to post.

Take it easy
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Allen Mags finally broke in

Now were having fun! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sounds like you guys are going to have to move the gong out closer to 1000 yards to make it a little more challenging. Even at that range the 270 AMs should handle it easy.

I also think you might need to start using dimes instead of quarters. Sounds like the quarters are too easy. Or at least move the quarters out to 200 yards to give ol George a fair chance. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keep us posted about the results of the PDs shooting this weekend.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
SPONSOR

We're going out to buddy's land this weekend to shoot pds. It is only a small town and he want them eliminated. Most of our shots will be between 320 to 450 yds so those dogs are in some serious trouble. The buzzards will eat well for a few days!!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
SPONSOR

here is a pic of poor George,

Not the tightest group in history but these are fireforming loads. I can't wait to see what they do when I am shooting the real deal's in her.

Steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lerch,

Very nice shooting, thanks for the report, I guess the 270 AM is doing alright with those 169.5 gr ULDs. Can't wait to hear about a big buck being vented at 800 yards with that rifle!!!

Keep us filled in with the P dog attacks!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-24-2005, 11:36 AM
SPONSOR

Oh I won't only vent him, I am gonna dump his @$$ right where he stands!!!!!!!

I am building a 20ft tall box blind for me and BJ to hunt and video out of. I am gonna put it in a perfect spot to cover a 1000yd semi circle of scrub river bottom. Somebody is gonna get hurt.

Thanks
Steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Glad to see break in is over and the serious shooting can take place.
Keep us posted!