Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Allem Mag shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Allem Mag shooters

I have been in contact via e-mail with kirby the last few weeks asking about the .257 AM. I am wondering if I could get some feedback from any and all who have or is currently shooting any of the AM calibers. I am leaning towards the .257 for a long range deer/lope rifle but would like to hear what and why you are shooting your AM for. Thanks,
Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Allen Mag shooters

ddubas:

Since you said that you have been in contact via e-mail with Kirby then Iíll assume that you understand that the Allen Magnums are high horsepower rounds designed to push heavy-for-caliber, high BC bullets at velocities that produce fantastic long range ballistic results.

Having said that, I will tell you that I have on order a 7mm Allen Magnum. I decided on the 7mm because of the heavier bullets available and the fact that I hunt elk a lot and wanted the extra horsepower the 7mm AM and the big Wildcats provide. It will also be a very potent deer round and wind should pose no problem for the big Wildcats.

Kirby also has a Savage of my hunting buddies that is being re-barreled to 270 Allen Magnum. He also hunts elk a lot but just felt like he wanted to try the big 270 AM, which, when combined with the 169.5 Wildcats will be very potent for elk at substantial ranges as well as deer etc.

Either of these two rounds will handle anything from rockchucks up to elk or moose and will do it in a package that is very shooter friendly and manageable.

You say you are leaning towards the 257 Allen Magnum and your primary targets will probably be deer and/or antelope. Thatís a fantastic round and will do the job for you easily. That is also the round that Kirby decided on for his upcoming antelope hunt.

I know that Lerch and Bill Bailey recently took possession of their new 270 Allen Magnums, and from what I read, they are extremely happy with them. Iím sure they will be posting a reply to you also.

I know that Kirby has guns on order for all of the Allen Magnums and itís just a personal choice for each shooter based on what he will be using it for. In your case, the 257 AM will take deer and speed goats at ranges that will amaze you. Just order one and have fun.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Allem Mag shooters

I am shooting the 270AM and I will tell you that it is amazing round. Kirby builds one hell of a rifle.

The 270 is really easy to load for which is the reason why me and a buddy of mine went with it over the 257. It is really amzing to see the power his rounds deliver downrange.

I have only shot it out to about 730yds so far and I can tell you at that range it was waaaaaay to easy to hit a prairie dog.

You won't be disapointed with anything you get from Kirby.

Take it easy,
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

I have a 270 AM on order for shooting deer in N.C to hopefully as far as I can see em. I like Lerch and bill went the 270 route for being a little easier to load for.
I plan on having it a big brother namely the 7mm Allen sometime next year but we will wait and see.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
SPONSOR

When Lerch and I were first looking @ the AMs, I initially thought the .257 was the sexiest and still do. As Lerch said the only reason we went w/the 270 was b/c it is much more user friendly.

It's much easier to neck from .284" down to .277" than .338" to .257".

With that being said, as long as you understand the steps involved and know what you are getting into, you will no doubt love the performance of the .257. I just went w/the KISS method and thus chose the .270.

Lerch and I should both have some full tilt rounds down the tubes in a few days. I've got them all shined up and primed. Just gotta get a few honey-do chores out of the way, then I'm going to pour some powder in, seat a bullet and head to the range!!!

HMM, maybe I'll burn a little of the midnight oil tonight......

Good luck on your project. Kirby is a joy to deal with and will shoot you straight on everything involved. No matter which one you choose, the performance will amaze you!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

I also have an ALLEN Mag on order, its a 7mm. I'm very partial to the .284 bore diameter, I have a 7mm STW and wanted a lil more horsepower. Kirby is absolutely the most intelligent smith I ever talked with, so I went with his round.
JS
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

thanks for all that have posted. just guessing by the e-mails from kirby and all of his posts he knows what he is doing and them some. like i said before i am leaning towards the .257 just due to the fact that for now i don't have any big game hunts palnned (elk or larger) and i have a perfect place to hunt whitetails where shots can range from 0 to a 1,000 plus yards and with my .25-06 i don't take shots at deer much over 500 yards. the 7 AM is my second choice, but i have to get the order placed for the .257 first. thanks again to all and as soon as the order is placed i will keep everyone posted.