Originally Posted by GNERGY
I own a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 308 with the 20 inch bbl. A guy at the range had the Rem 700 with the 5R stainless bbl in 308 and decided to rebarrel it to 6.5x47 lapua so I bought his barrel. Took it to the local gunsmith and he put it on my action and it fit perfect. He tried putting a .001 shim on the headspace gage and the bolt wouldn't close. I say Remington can hold some close tollerences.
a walk thru the Remington machine shop might just change your mind. They don't do a very good job in maintaning their equipment. Their fixturing is even worse. Yet they did buy some nice equipment over the years, but just ran it in the ground.
One factory rep I used to work with regularly from Monarch Sidney was dispatched to Remington to work on several Monarch VMC's and a couple lathes. Now normally he didn't do Cortland built equipment, but he was at the top of his game and they needed him over there. He said he didn't see how they every built anything in there as the machinery was pretty much shot. The VMC's were all way out of square, and they lathes appeared to have been wrecked many times over without every being realigned. He has the factory send him a granit "H block" and a couple cylinder squares. The vertical slides were in really bad shape, and several of the machines needed new bearing packs in the spindles alone. He went thru every machine doing a two dollar rebuild and got them working pretty good (did not rebuild the spindles). The machines were square within .00035" in a foot of travel (a little tighter than the factory spec). They installed the fixture on the first machine, and the parts were way out of spec! He rechecks the machine to see what moved, and it was right there. Then he checks their fixture, and it was pretty much junk (way out of square). Remington must have bought that way, as they didn't even know about it. He checks the next machine and it's just as bad. Monarch took all the fixtures and reworked them at their own shop in New York. The lathes needed a spindle head realignment as well as a chuck rebuild. Ball screws were shot in all of them, and Monarch actually contacted me about buying a couple "X axis" screws. We did a swap, and a month later Monarch sent me in new screws. The tail stocks on the machines that had them were pretty much gone, and needed a complete rebuild as in major. Ray spent about six weeks up there, and had to go back several more times to make the job complete. Ray said he didn't know how they ever made a good part in there, and the building needed to be gutted and completely retooled. Nowadays it would be a $200 million dollar retool cost at the minimum! Perhaps they bought new equipment, but I doubt they have that kinda money.