Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

All Around North American Big Game Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: All Around North American Big Game Rifle

wolf i picked up rem. 700 lss. the picture on rem. web site doe's not do the stock justice look at one in person very nice!!! 300rum with brake recoil not bad at all getting 9/16 in. groups with factory load .found the gun on trip to Idaho in a little hole in the wall place $665 out he door
Old 12-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

I would reccomend the 300 RUM in the Savage weather warrior mod sak116.I have one and I have a friend who has one they both shoot great and both have muzzle brakes factory installed. Also are pillar bedded with fluted barrels, trigger comes hard but will adjust down with a little work this Savage pushes my custom rifles in accuracy, I gave $439. wholesale.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

I agree with you on that pic not doing that stock any justice on Remington's website it's much better looking in person [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I picked one about 4 years ago in 7 mag did the trigger up and addded a KDF brake.Gun has no recoil at all feels like a 243. Best group I shot with it was with a 150gr nosler BT over 67.5gr of R-22 and a rem mag primer 2 hole 5 shot group at .4in. You can't ask for much more from a factory rifle.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

On that note I've looked on the Savage website and they offer rifles that come with a 3x9 scope as part of the package, for about 500.00 or a bit more. I know that some of their rifles have the accu trigger setup, and I'd probably still want to get a Leupold scope, regardless, because the scope they offer probably isn't the best choice, IMHO.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, the Super Shadow goes for 554.00 on the Winchester site, and for me it'd probably be the 7mm WSM. With a good Leupold scope it'd probably even out to about 1000.00, all told or less, I'd think.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

OK, Here's what I'm thinking now, after all this...That for hunting where I live in Virginia, the Savage All Weather Warrior in 30-06 with either a Leupold or Nikon scope; The Winchester Super Shadow in 7mm WSM with a good Leupold scope for out West hunting (when I get there again soon enough); and something for predator (coyote, bobcat, fox) here where I live. I have something along the lines of a .223 or even a .204 for that with a quality scope, but I don't know which make and model yet. Has any of you shot the Remington 700 VLS with any of the varmint calibers?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:12 PM

I think every shooter goes through this very question at least once in their life. For me it was answered with a Browning SS A-bolt 300 Win Mag with a Leupold 3-10.5x50 scope from Premier Reticles and the RC600 dots on the reticle. I went with the browning as it has outstanding workmanship (I also own Savage and Remington). They pay attention to the little things, like a magazine that doesn't allow the tips of bullets to hit the front of the mag on recoil, etc. I went with Stainless as I hunt in all sorts of weather and I don't want to worry about rust. One hunt I was on in Alberta in the late fall an ice fog rolled in, during the day as we were stalking we had rind ice build up on the guns making them slippery to hold.

For the scope I decided on one with a good reputation and a good warranty. That left only Leupold. I went with Premier Reticles dot system as I thought it was pretty ingenous and it has sure paid off. I knocked down a whitetail buck at around 300 yards almost the moment I saw him by using the 1st come-up dot (300 yard dot) in the scope. It was a heart shot and he hit the ground dead.

To be honest today's rifles and most scopes are good, start looking for things like comfort, fit, WARRANTY!!, ruggedness, etc.

I think the more important question is what would be an all-around caliber. To me that was 300 Win Mag - then again I live in the west and hunt elk, bear, as well as deer. The 300 WM gives you another 100 yards over a 30-06 for those longer shots. But out East the bush is a little more dense and I would imagine long shots are more of a rarity.

Jay Kyle