Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

All Around North American Big Game Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

All Around North American Big Game Rifle

All,

To the knowledgeable community...If I were to pick a brand (I know this will be contentious) of rifle & scope combo to have as an "all around" big game rifle for North America, which type - or brand, I should maybe say - of rifle and scope does everyone favor?

I've decided that it will be a 30-06 for me, because it's probably the largest caliber that I can fire comfortably and confidently, and 80 different loads are made for it as well. Also, a laminated stock and maybe stainless steel the rest for extra weather resistance.

So here begs my question...I'm looking for such a rifle, but wanted to get some opinions on what the community here prefers. I'm not looking to drop a mint, but less than 1000.00 for rifle and scope, if possible.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: All Around North American Big Game Rifle

Wolf, Check out the Remington 700 LSS in 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. Beautiful laminated stock rifle in stainless steel. Top it off with a luppy VXII 3-9x50 or spend a 150 bucks more and get the VXIII and your set. Should be just at or a little below $1000. The big 7 will have ruffly the same amount of recoil as the 06 and will shoot flatter further. Or you can step up to the 300 for more power, add a brake and it will shoot like a pussy cat. I favor the Rem 700's they are hard to beat for out of the box accuracy. With a cheap 50 dollar trigger adjustment and a good batch of handloads you will have a tack driver on your hands. Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Silver Member

Tommy,

Thanks for the info...I like the Remingtons, too, and I'll check out the combo and price it out to see what I can find. I looked on the Gunbroker website, but there wasn't anything like the configuration you specified, although there are some Rems without the scope.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:06 AM
Silver Member

The Remington won't be in a "package" - you will need to get the scope seperate from the rifle. You may look around locally as well, around here the rifles are much less (even new rifles) than what is on gunbroker - especially when you factor in shipping and the $20 that a dealer will charge to do the transfer. With all the Christmas sales going on, you may find some great deals on scopes.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Wolf, check out /firearms/centerfire/700lss.htm if you want to see the rifle. Look under centerfire rifle's then LSS but disregard the price they have listed that price is BS you can get it cheaper. I just got a good deal on a 3-9x50 VXII with the German #4 crosshair from Midway also /ebrowse.exe/browse .
Old 12-22-2004, 11:27 AM

Whitewolf;
I think that for the money the Winchester supershadow is hard to beat. Sure it has an ugly stock but I can live with an ugly rifle as long as it is functional. I think the supershadow goes for around $500.00 I favor the Leupold VXIV in 2.5-8 with the boone and crocket reticle. I own one that I just had smithed to 338-300 WSM. If recoil is an issue go with the 270 WSM or 7mmWSM. I sure like the 300 WSM though.
MJS
Old 12-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Writers Guild

I am now a Savage convert. Just picked up their basic 110 in 270. Shot 1/4 MOA out of the box, literally.

You can always get a Boyds lam stock if you don't get one with the orig rifle. That is what I am presently doing.

I got the one with the mag because I like D mags. Only other option is blind mag.

Ruger, Win also make very nice rifles.

Jerry