Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Africa perfect rifle for elephant,buffalo,plains game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Africa perfect rifle for elephant,buffalo,plains game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
Couple of comments. I agree a 375 for plains and 450 for lion is a great combo and would recommend it but make sure first you can shoot both very well, you don't get mixed up with your subconscious reactions with shooting them, and you are comfortable caryin them for long hikes. I practiced with 25lb weights in each hand with ten reps and 5 second holds to make sure I did not tire. Not often discussed in fast action situations is the balance of the rifle and typically a double balances perfectly at about 22" from the butt. Practice fast reloading with the double. If you buy a used one, the one barrlel maybe used more than the other because of reloading after the first shot. Unfortunately I ve also seen a 375 being too much for a lot of shooting particularly for plains beyond 100yds for some hunters. Once again practice. A 416 is a great all round rifle but whereas a 375 typically will have the same poi with both solids and softs this may differ fro a 416. So if you load Tsx for first shot for buffalo, the backups with solids may have different Poi. As far as the new aiming scopes etc, should be fine as long as they do not stand up too high off the barrel because then they will catch in the bushes. I prefer about 2-3 power for buffalo when you know where they are but if in tight cover or following up open sights are better. I also agree don't be to dependent on you ph for backup
here is something kinda interesting to throw gasoline in the fire! I read an account a few days back where a guy went to Africa with a Marlin 1895M chambered in .450 Marlin.( I don't remember if the rifle was scoped or not). He shot an Elephant with it, and it was a one shot kill. Also a bufallo, plus many other animals.. Now I'm sure he had a PH standing right by him with a 470 double just in case! Also one needs to remember that Fred Bear killed everything over there with a bow! (probably had to clean out his shorts more than once!!) Eitherway these two guys had bigger gonads than I'll ever have!

gary