Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Africa perfect rifle for elephant,buffalo,plains game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: Africa perfect rifle for elephant,buffalo,plains game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
One rifle the .375 H&H in my safe. Two loads. Barnes 235 grain TSX...
I dearly love that bullet in my Winchester M70 375 H&H with a 26 inch barrel. It does a magnificent job on American Buffalo. Close range head shot shattered the skull, bullet wasn't recovered, muzzle velocity very close to 2900. Also extremely accurate.

My Remington is a 22 inch barrel and gets the Hornady and Sierra 220/200g flatpoints for deer hunting at 375Win velocities.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code4 View Post
[...]Doubles are fine untill the going gets really dirty. You only need a small amount of crud on the face and you only had two shots. (something that doesn't get much airplay in current publications).[...]
Seriously? Bolt rifles never Jam?

The more relevant issue assuming you could only have "one" rifle for dangerous and plains game would be accuracy to 100-200-300+ yds. Doubles aren't great for longer ranges. Or, they get expensive to tune and regulate with and without scopes. So, a bolt tends to work better (far less expensive to do so anyway).

In any case, your PH will almost certainly carry a double to back you up. And, he can/will put more lead down range faster than you can with a bolt.

-- richard
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

I have both the 375 wby and the 378 wby. The 375 wby will shoot a 375 H&H just fine in it and maintain good accuracy. The 378 is a completely different monster using a case all it's own. Roy wanted it to be similar in capacity to the 416 Rigby case but with a belt and the radius shoulder.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
I dearly love that bullet in my Winchester M70 375 H&H with a 26 inch barrel. It does a magnificent job on American Buffalo. Close range head shot shattered the skull, bullet wasn't recovered, muzzle velocity very close to 2900. Also extremely accurate.

My Remington is a 22 inch barrel and gets the Hornady and Sierra 220/200g flatpoints for deer hunting at 375Win velocities.
I had a .375 Winchester in a Ruger # 3 that we started a few kids with. if you can find them the 250 power points make an awesome deer load.
Back in the day I liked the old Barnes 270 grain spitzer as my general load in the H&H. Those kids we started are now grown, and have rifles in .300 RUM or Edge with Nightforce scopes etc., still stop by to borrow the old H&H, or bicker about who gets it when I'm gone. Grand old cartridge that offers a hundred years of boring reliability.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Seriously? Very Bolt rifles never Jam? Of course they do. You will have less chance of a Mauser jamming because of the inbuilt slack in the action. This is not a fault of manufacture but a design feature to assist in operating in foul conditions.

The more relevant issue assuming you could only have "one" rifle for dangerous and plains game would be accuracy to 100-200-300+ yds. Doubles aren't great for longer ranges. Or, they get expensive to tune and regulate with and without scopes. So, a bolt tends to work better (far less expensive to do so anyway). I very much doubt anyone shoots elephant in excess of 100 yards and in fact most shots will be a lot closer than that.

In any case, your PH will almost certainly carry a double to back you up. And, he can/will put more lead down range faster than you can with a bolt. You will find very few PH's can afford a double. They are the exception to the norm, restricted to the long established firms or celebrity PH's we see more and more of these days.

-- richard
Doubles have their place, but are not the be all and end all and as you have described, have their limitations.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

I've never been to Africa but...if and when I get there for a mixed bag hunt including a member of the Big Five I'll likely be toting my 416 Rem Mag. 400 gr bullets at 2400 fps pack lots of punch for <100 yds shots on big stuff and still shoot flat enough for shots to 300 yds on nondangerous game.
Mine is a Rem 700 with open sights and a Kahles 1.5-6x scope in QD Warne rings. Ready to hunt it weighs about 10 lbs and recoil isn't bad at all, about like a 3" 12 gauge load. My only modification might be a Sako extractor for extra reliability.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Bronze Member

.416 ballistics are hard to beat. Great choice of optics on your rifle too. If your reloads aren't very close to max pressure and you can keep most of the dust off the action you will be fine.