Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Aerodynamic Jump and Ballistic Solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Aerodynamic Jump and Ballistic Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPetersenDK View Post
MMERSS.
Aerodynamic Jump.

You wrote that you click DOWN for a 90 degree Wind and UP for a 270 degree Wind. Are you sure? To me 90 degrees = 3 o'clock and 270 degrees = 9 o'clock, and I would click just the other way around. Any comments??
A wind from the left pushes the bullet right and down (my 270) and a wind from the right pushes the bullet left and up (my 90). Obviously corrections will be in the opposite direction.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 PM

Yes, its important do distinguish between bullet movement and the corresponding corrections. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Squat!!!!!

I think I'll just give up and accept a few misses. . .
Roy,

No misses here! Being a responsible hunter making the decision to shoot in strong crosswinds you have limited your range to acceptable hit probability.....No need to worry for the vertical corrections we are talking about here....Most people prefer to count sheep at night....others percentages.....those counting sheep get better rest.....any guesses what I count at night and why I'm sometimes cranky?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Beers? LOL
Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Beers? LOL

My ap, Shooter, does not account for full value wind direction. At any mph 90 or 270 wind the program gives no vertical. This is where I struggle and compounded with slopes that produce vertical wind movement I sometimes feel like I should go back to my bow. Unfortunately I am stubborn and want to understand this issue. First round impacts is the ultimate goal right? I mean we can fling lead all day until we hit the target but it doesn't count in my book.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
First round impacts is the ultimate goal right? I mean we can fling lead all day until we hit the target but it doesn't count in my book.
This should be the charter here at LRH.

Unless you account for so many things, like this subject, and horizontal & vertical coriolis, cold bore POI, etc, your first(only) shot on game will be limited in range to your system/method capability -and killzone.
This means disciplined stalking & positioning, as well as a prepared shooting system.
Since we don't 'need' to hunt food anymore, our hunting challenge should mean something else(like shot/kill %).

The hogwash of walking shots into steel at a mile, should not be tolerated here, much less embraced.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
The hogwash of walking shots into steel at a mile, should not be tolerated here, much less embraced.
Mikecr,

For the purposes of big game hunting I can agree with your comment. However, which is the worse of two evils; killing an overrun gopher field with poison or allowing ELR hunters the opportunity to "walk" shots onto this problem while perched upon their home?