Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Advice wanted on rifle calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice wanted on rifle calibers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying another rifle and I am not sure what to get. I currently have a 6.5x284 and a 7mm rem mag and am looking for something slightly smaller. I really want to be shooting around a 70 gr bullet and would like it to be as flat as possible. I want to shoot coyotes and small deer with it. I have currently been looking at 243 ackley, 6-284, 6x47 and 257 weatherby and would like peoples opinions on which one is better as well as any other suggestions.

Many thanks

Tris
A plain old fashoned .243 will do what you ask nicely.....75gr to 105 gr slugs that you can purchase anywhere if need be
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Well thank you so much for your advice. Definitely plenty to think about, would anyone be able to tell me which of these calibers is likely to be the flattest? I really am looking for a flat trajectory. The other question I would ask is what is the shortest barrel length that I could get away with without sacrificing too much in terms of velocity and accuracy?

Run The numbers with a 40 grain .223 bullet @ 4500 Ft/sec. My 223 WSSM is currently running
just over that with a 1 in 15 twist, 3 grove Lilja 24" barrel with no signs of pressure.

That would have to be the flattest out to some point.

There are some special needs however if you want this speed. PM me if you have any questions.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Run The numbers with a 40 grain .223 bullet @ 4500 Ft/sec. My 223 WSSM is currently running
just over that with a 1 in 15 twist, 3 grove Lilja 24" barrel with no signs of pressure.

There are some special needs however if you want this speed. PM me if you have any questions.

J E CUSTOM
J E, is that round hard on barrels? just curious because that thing is screamin! I've heard that its hard on barrels just wanted to hear it from someone who owns one. I'm interested in a 22 cal. Varmint cartridge and i was thinking possibly 223wssm.
But i don't want a cartdidge thats gonna be hard on barrels like that. Let me know what your experience is with that cartridge. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
J E, is that round hard on barrels? just curious because that thing is screamin! I've heard that its hard on barrels just wanted to hear it from someone who owns one. I'm interested in a 22 cal. Varmint cartridge and i was thinking possibly 223wssm.
But i don't want a cartdidge thats gonna be hard on barrels like that. Let me know what your experience is with that cartridge. Thanks!

Yes it is, then again, fast & flat shooting usually= shorter barrel life. As all decisions in life, there will ALWAYS be a trade off.

t

Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

J E CUSTOM

At 4500 FPS The bullet doesnt tumble? No key holes in the target? That is ridiculously fast. Also, from the previous posts it looks like 250 AI is the original short magnum! What about something as simple as a 243 (Like sully said)? I dont think you can shoot 70 grain bullets but it is something to consider.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

J E CUSTOM
This is what I get when running the numbers for 105 gr Hybrid (BC .545) @ 3400 fps and 40 gr Varmint (BC .155) @ 4500 fps.

With 300 zero the 40 gr bullet is 0.3" flatter than the 105

With 400 zero the 105 is 0.9" flatter than the 40

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
This is what I get when running the numbers for 105 gr Hybrid (BC .545) @ 3400 fps and 40 gr Varmint (BC .155) @ 4500 fps.

With 300 zero the 40 gr bullet is 0.3" flatter than the 105

With 400 zero the 105 is 0.9" flatter than the 40
More importantly, with 10 mph wind

300 zero drift, 40 - 13.3", 105 - 4.4"

400 zero drift, 40 - 26.2", 105 - 8"

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams