Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Advice please - Kimber Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Advice please - Kimber Rifles

Hmmm, not all good news.

The rifle retails for approx $1600 dollars here in the UK. I did like the feel of this rifle but perhaps i'll opt for a Sako 85 stainless?

Thanks for the input guys.

Unread 05-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Bronze Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm enjoyong all the good ideas posted here. As for Kimber, I've hunted with the Montana in 7WSM for 4 years and I'm maybe 50% satisfied. It's the pickiest rifle for brass I've ever owned. I have a batch of carefully prepared Norma (made from 300WSM) that will shoot several loads at 3/4 m.o.a. as long as I don't bump the shoulder over .001", past that and the groups go to 2 m.o.a.- It hates any load in Winchester brass and shoots Federal "Vital Shock" factories better than anything I can cook up in the Winchester but just the other day I shot a box of federal factory that were given to me that said "160 gr soft pt. " on the box and it shot it over 3 1/2 m.o.a. while I could switch back to my handloads and shoot 3/4 every time. I'm not to concerned about it not shooting factories well but it just shows a crudely machined chamber, bolt face, etc. Not what I would expect from a $1000 gun.
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Ive owned a Kimber 1911, and loved the quality, and accuracy. I have never, untill this thread hered 1 bad thing about them for rifles or pistols. I have a buddy who owns one in a 325wsm, and it shoots ragged clover leafs at 100yds. with handloads, and another buddy with one in a 300wsm who loves his. I love the feel of them because theyre so close in feel to the Win model-70. Strange, I never thought Id see so many negitave comments on such a well respected name in the firearms industry. Hmmmm. Well I suppose the folks here expect alot from thier rifles, and its good to get feedback, + and - from real long range shooters. Makes you think a bit before you lay down your hard earned $ doesnt it.
Good luck with whatever choice you make.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Bronze Member

Don't get me wrong, I still like the rifle. I'm picking it up from the 'smith in a couple of days - he trued the bolt face and lugs and I'm sure it will do better. As I'm sure you know, skinny barrels are more susceptable to any concenticity problems with the brass or chamber. It seems Kimber should have known this when they put a "match grade" (joke) barrel ahead of a sloppy chamber.
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrok View Post
Don't get me wrong, I still like the rifle. I'm picking it up from the 'smith in a couple of days - he trued the bolt face and lugs and I'm sure it will do better. As I'm sure you know, skinny barrels are more susceptable to any concenticity problems with the brass or chamber. It seems Kimber should have known this when they put a "match grade" (joke) barrel ahead of a sloppy chamber.
Sorry to bring up this subject again but I'd like any suggestions as to the cause of the following symptoms. The 'smith blue printed the action and by my inspection did a good job. I had to bump back the shoulder on my pet loads because the chamber is a few thousenths smaller. Now they shoot 1-1/4 MOA. I worked up a bunch of other loads with the same results. The wierd thing is it's EXACTLY 1-1/4. Nine out of ten 5 shot groups measure within 1/16 inch of each other. I've already determined the bullet has to be within .010 of the lands and the head space has to be within .001 or things go completley to crap. I've culled every round with more than .002 run out. These cases are neck turned and sized with a bushing die. I'd suspect the barrel, not the chamber, bedding, etc. EXCEPT: the darn thing shoots the same with a smoking hot barrel as it does with a cold one. I've never experianced this before. Any suggestions?
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Good action to put an aftermarket barrel on. My experience with two of them is far less than stellar. The barrels are too thin, there is nothing you could do with either of the two I worked with to make them shoot well consistently. They initially feel very good and are super light. However the most consistent loads I could find shot 1.75-2 inches at 100 yards. I would go with a Sako or something else. Fit and finish is hard to beat but they just didn't shoot well. Not trying to be discouraging, but I would think you want honesty before you drop 1600.00 on a rifle.

There is a local smith who, from what I have been told, I don't know him personally, has a stack of those lightweight barrels that he has replaced. I think he is a member of the board here and maybe I was misinformed, I was told by someone else when trying to get my dads second one to shoot. But it makes sense given the groups I was seeing. The two I worked with were a 7mm-08 and a 338 Federal.

Last edited by cfvickers; 03-27-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Unread 03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks much, I had about come to that same conclusion. If the smith you're talking about reads this, please chime in. You'll probably get hired. I was wondering if it's possible to remove the glass and some of the filler in the barrel channel to enable a thick enough layer of glass to be put back, so I can save the stock.