Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

advice for an ill-shooting remington xcr tactical l/r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Re: advice for an ill-shooting remington xcr tactical l/r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
I bought a new Winchester model 70 extreme weather in 300 win mag based on the recommendation of 2 Scheels associates. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER EXPENSIVE FACTORY RIFLE AGAIN!!! This rifle would only shoot 2 1/4 to 4 inch groups with 6 different factory ammos. I have since found a good gunsmith and had him put on a match grade barrel, bedded the stock, put on a Timney trigger and lap the lugs. I'm working on a hand load to get me between 3/8 and 3/4 inch groups. I think the only way to go is to buy a cheap rifle for the action and have a smith put on a new barrel, trigger and stock. I've heard too many stories of guys getting poor shooting rifles from the factory and the gun companies won't do anything to fix them. Its a really big roll of the dice to get a factory gun that will shoot well. Some will say that Savage or Tikka are accurate right out of the box. I couldn't get a Savage in a 110 FCP HS Precision and didn't want a 6.75 pound Tikka in a 300 win mag.

Just my $.02 worth.
I don't blame you for feeling that way. It's that sort of situation that pushes people toward custom actions/rifles. Most of my rifles are builds rather than off-the-shelf purchases. Most of my builds have been comparable in cost to off-the-shelf rifles, but I get a much higher quality barrel and better parts fitting in the process.

It's interesting that you had problems with one of the new production Extreme Weather Model 70's. EVERY accuracy complaint I have seen involving a new production Model 70 has involved a Stainless model. It makes me wonder if FN has a different source for the stainless barrels than they do for the chrome moly ones. I have a standard Model 70 Sporter that shoots right with my rifles wearing custom barrels. Overall, I feel that the current production Model 70's are some of the best factory rifles being made. What I am seeing would make me steer away from a stainless Model 70, though.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Bronze Member

Gary(trckymsft), i could not tell if the barrel's i.d. changed, as the amount of resistance seemed constant while running a patch. neither could i say any of the brass had imperfections. since i've already remounted the base/rings/re-torqued the action screws, i spent a crap load more $$$$ on ammo, and shot a few groups of 3 of my handloads.

Barne's 180 ttsx factory 3 shot groups 1.75" 1.75"
Federal 180 nos. part fact 3 shot grps 2.125" 1.75"
handloads imr4350/fed primer/horn brass 66-69gr 1.5" 1.75" 1.75" 2.5" 2.75" and 1.0"

ran out of daylight, so i have a few more to shoot, and will load some more 68gr that resulted in 1.0" group(the best this thing has ever produced)

should i change primers? i currently have rl-15/17/19/22/25 imr7828/4350

any recommendations? i have yet to find hsm 210vld factory ammo in stock. i'm going to send this back to remmy after one more trip to the range.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
I bought a new Winchester model 70 extreme weather in 300 win mag based on the recommendation of 2 Scheels associates. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER EXPENSIVE FACTORY RIFLE AGAIN!!! This rifle would only shoot 2 1/4 to 4 inch groups with 6 different factory ammos. I have since found a good gunsmith and had him put on a match grade barrel, bedded the stock, put on a Timney trigger and lap the lugs. I'm working on a hand load to get me between 3/8 and 3/4 inch groups. I think the only way to go is to buy a cheap rifle for the action and have a smith put on a new barrel, trigger and stock. I've heard too many stories of guys getting poor shooting rifles from the factory and the gun companies won't do anything to fix them. Its a really big roll of the dice to get a factory gun that will shoot well. Some will say that Savage or Tikka are accurate right out of the box. I couldn't get a Savage in a 110 FCP HS Precision and didn't want a 6.75 pound Tikka in a 300 win mag.

Just my $.02 worth.
That's pretty much my story with a Winchester Extreme Weather in 338 Win Mag. I'm fairly disgusted.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterboud View Post
Gary(trckymsft), i could not tell if the barrel's i.d. changed, as the amount of resistance seemed constant while running a patch. neither could i say any of the brass had imperfections. since i've already remounted the base/rings/re-torqued the action screws, i spent a crap load more $$$$ on ammo, and shot a few groups of 3 of my handloads.

Barne's 180 ttsx factory 3 shot groups 1.75" 1.75"
Federal 180 nos. part fact 3 shot grps 2.125" 1.75"
handloads imr4350/fed primer/horn brass 66-69gr 1.5" 1.75" 1.75" 2.5" 2.75" and 1.0"

ran out of daylight, so i have a few more to shoot, and will load some more 68gr that resulted in 1.0" group(the best this thing has ever produced)

should i change primers? i currently have rl-15/17/19/22/25 imr7828/4350

any recommendations? i have yet to find hsm 210vld factory ammo in stock. i'm going to send this back to remmy after one more trip to the range.
I'm beginning to think the bedding is bad. It ought to shoot much better than that!
gary
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

I'm surprised that nobody else has suggested bedding the action.

so check list would go as such:
1- freefloat barrel
2-bed the stock
3- torque the action screws to proper specs!
4- check the crown.

I HIGHLY doubt that you got a lemon. I have had so many "lemons" come through my hands that I worked into solid rifles (3/4 MOA or better).

5- Start hand loading!!! If you have the money to put a match grade barrel on it, you have money to reload. even with the most basic hand loaders tools (like I have), your rifle can shoot well.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

well, i'd like to follow up in thanks for all of the help/suggestions. Ended up taking the rig to mg arms in spring, had is glass bedded and had the lugs squared. saw a fairly impressive gain in accuracy, with all ammo, both factory and reloads.
Barne's 180 ttsx factory 3 shot groups 1.75" 1.75"(before)-- 1.5" 1.25" after
Federal 180 nos. part fact 3 shot grps 2.125" 1.75"-- did not shoot
handloads imr4350/fed primer/horn brass 66-69gr 1.5" 1.75" 1.75" 2.5" 2.75" and 1.0" ---1.0" 1.50" 1.5" 1.75" 1.75" and .75"!!

guess i'm going to play w/different primers and try 4831..next
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterboud View Post
well, i'd like to follow up in thanks for all of the help/suggestions. Ended up taking the rig to mg arms in spring, had is glass bedded and had the lugs squared. saw a fairly impressive gain in accuracy, with all ammo, both factory and reloads.
Barne's 180 ttsx factory 3 shot groups 1.75" 1.75"(before)-- 1.5" 1.25" after
Federal 180 nos. part fact 3 shot grps 2.125" 1.75"-- did not shoot
handloads imr4350/fed primer/horn brass 66-69gr 1.5" 1.75" 1.75" 2.5" 2.75" and 1.0" ---1.0" 1.50" 1.5" 1.75" 1.75" and .75"!!

guess i'm going to play w/different primers and try 4831..next
I think I'd try lapping the first three quarters of the barrel, and then very lightly go thru the last quarter making it ever so slightly tighter than the first three quarters. Then after all this is said and done, I'd relap the first six inches of the barrel after the throat. Also are the three shot groups nice looking triangles? If not, I'd lap the crown a little bit.

One last thing to think about trying. I don't remember what scope and rings as well as the bases you are using. Might be worth your trouble to at least relap the rings into the scope tube. Myself, I'd take a night and remove everything, and remount the bases looking for burrs around the threads and the underside of the bases. Then I'd glass bed the bases. After that I'd very carefully install the rings looking for daylight between the rings and scope tube. After I'm satisfied, lap the rings.

sometimes the solution is just a bunch of small things
gary