Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Advice On a Custom Rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Advice On a Custom Rifle.

Well I had bought a 30-378 accumark used. I then sent it to Christensenarms to put a slect match grade shilen barrel with removable titauim muzzle brake. accurized the action, timney trigger. Etc.

Now having said that you have a abolt, you can't dont nothing with that action,but you can a barrel a carbon barrel put on it. I am very happy with what they did to my gun. If you keep your abolt and have it rebarreled to 300wsm with the removable brake that would be a shooter. Thats also for about 1.200 bucks If you really want to get a custom rifle built and you want a shortmag. I would have them build me a 300wsm with mcmillan edge stock 20-22oz of stock wieght on an action of your choice. I just bought a carbon fider x bolt. The action is nice the triggers are way better then the a bolts you have a clip and I would get a 24'' barrel with brake put on.

my 30-378 shoots 1/2'' groups with factory ammo.. If you op to go away from the short action. I would lean towards the 300 weatherby mag or 300 ultra. about the same in factory ammo I just read that there more reliable case feeding because of case design with weatherby. check out christensen arms. they garuntee thire rifle and their a big company that doesn't seem like thier going anywhere. The have about a month turn around time.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

jdm, I would suggest a custom built from the ground up. Keep your scope if you must, but that is a heavy scope, and there are others too choose from that will allow you to kill big game without the excessive weight.
Sell the Medalion, this will fund the custom action for your rifle.

The build, to be lighter, will need a composite stock, preferably using carbon fiber for strength and light weight. I shy away from the ultra light weights as they tend to be very petite (ie fragile)

Of the many custom actions, choose one with your smith that will fit your cartrige and be a bit lighter than the others, while still maintaining quality.

Determine what your effective range needs to be and with the experience of your smith choose a barrel contour that will provide the needed consistancy/accuracy and weight parameters of your build.

On cartiges, if your faith is a bit lacking in the 7wsm being around and available in 5 years, I'm not sure why you would choose the 300wsm. It could very well be in the same boat. The 300 win mag may be a better choice, due to the availability and multitude of availabe factory ammunition.

I hope this helped in your decision making.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

The gun: I agree with the other poster who said that you may be under-estimating the caliber. The 7mm WSM will do everything you want it to do and more. I shoot a 280 rem using the same bullets at almost 150-200 fps slower and have never felt under gunned on the species you mentioned and at the distances you mentioned. zThe only thing you are going to gain with the 300 WSM is more expensive ammo.

Unless you absolutely want a new rifle I would look at reducing the weight of your current setup with a quality synthetic stock. Small weight savings can be had with a litter firing pin setup (if available) and lighter rings like Talley's. A lighter scope would not hurt either.

Ammo: The reason you can not find trophy bonded bear claws anymore is because they have been discontinued in favor of the tipped TBBC, which Federal is still loading up. That being said, there are alot better factory loadings out there like Nosler Partition and Accubond, Barnes TSX, etc. For an oddball like 7mm WSM you would be better off ordering ammo over the internet. Midwayusa, Natches Shooters Supply, and Cabelas all regularly stock 7mm WSM. Before I reloaded I would just wait for one to have a sale and stock up on 6 boxes. Try gunbroker too.

Here's two clearance deals from Midway...

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 7mm Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 160 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullet Hollow Point Lead-Free Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Winchester Supreme Ammunition 7mm Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 160 Grain Nosler AccuBond Box of 20 - MidwayUSA