Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Advanced Barrel Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

Advanced Barrel Systems

I talked to the owner Advanced Barrel Systems he is a very friendly and knowlegable guy. I was wondering if anyone has any experince with his barrels. I'm considering using one for my 300 WSM. Weight will be a big factor!
Thaks
DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advanced Barrel Systems

I have been using one for over a month now and have fired about 350 rounds through it.

I can tell you that it is not as light as a Christensen. However, it cools off the barrel about twice as fast and about 5 times faster than a regular thin steel barrel.

I would highly recommend the ABS for any gun but especially for ones that burn lots of powder or heat up quickly. On a 50 degree day shooting 95 grains of powder, you honestly can shoot 1 shot every 25 seconds and never get to the critical throat burning temperature.

Very cool stuff! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:21 PM

GG,
What sort of accuracy are you getting out of that wrapped barrel? What caliber, length, weight etc?
I've always been interested in these wrapped barrels but have heard some bad comments about their accuracy.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

I have posted some of my groups under the thread called,"338 thunder project". Check it out. The combo of the Mike Rock barrel and the ABS wrap along with Fiftydrivers machining give my hunting rifle accuracy good enough to compete in any 1k br match in the country! And, that barrel cools off from 90 grains of powder so quick, I could shoot two relays back to back with sighters and never reach the critical heat point!!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Just wondering, if a ABS barrel lasts longer, What if the temps could be reduced by say 20% + and not be worn off? Would that interest you? Better still remain in nanometer thickness to the bore, still interested? Not proven is accuracy. Got a worn barrel whose service life is limited at best ?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard some horror stories about deliverly times and defective barrels from ABS and honestly thats kinda thrown me off a bit. I have looked into Magnum Research and Christian both.

From the reports of those folks I'm framiliar with using Mike's barrels they seem good to go.

for $900 , I'll spend a bit more time in the gym and pack a heavier gun
Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

I have 4 of the ABS barrels and I like them. I have only one in use and 3 waiting.

ABS has experienced delievery time problems in the past, but I believe that he has cleared up those problems
My 338 Lapua is very accurate and I am happy with the barrel