Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Re: actions

we probably would have really looked hard at the Stiller but we could never get them to answer the phone or call us back

I had the same problem with Stiller I guess they do'nt like money.

Unread 04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

I have a Borden Timberline and my 'smith said he always checks the actions for squareness and most all need a slight "tweak" but the Borden was out of the box perfect.
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

There is nothing dramatically wrong with the McMillan receivers. That said, they are expensive for sure and as such, I point my customers in different directions for a custom receiver just because of cost mainly.

For any rifle based on a case up to and including the RUM class chamberings, my first choice by a LARGER margin is the Borden Timberline Magnum receiver.

For a Lapua class chambering, My first choice is the BAT HRPIC receivers. Expensive for sure but these are well worth the investment. That said, as soon as Borden starts offering a Lapua class receiver I will have two top end receivers I can recommend to my customers.

For 408 CT class chamberings, my first choice is the BAT M single shot 1.55"x8.5" round receivers.

For the BMG, I would probably lean toward the BAT but the McMillan 50 BMG receiver is pretty good, espeically if you want a repeater.

These are also the choices I use for my personal rifles so what I recommend to my customers is what I use myself.
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM

I have always just used a 700 action. That price sounds a little high to me as well. I am currently having another gun built by Dave Tooley and was unaware that he builds his own custom actions. That being said they are 725.00, and I am going to try one out. Should be able to report something back in a few months.

Take Care