Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Action to use for custom rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Action to use for custom rifle

You should check out Jim Borden's actions as well. He's the guy who designed Neisika's actions now he is on his own. He make top on the line actions and he also makes a hunting action that is a rem clone. Jim is a perfectionist.

www.bordenrifles.com
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
You should check out Jim Borden's actions as well. He's the guy who designed Neisika's actions now he is on his own. He make top on the line actions and he also makes a hunting action that is a rem clone. Jim is a perfectionist.

www.bordenrifles.com

[/ QUOTE ]

And, a narcisist.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice guys. It does make sense getting a whole new action rather than buying a donor rifle.

The Stiller Predator actions look alright, does anyone here use one of those actions?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

There is a post somewhere Stiller VS Lawton ....Id read it!

My first custom in the making I chose the Lawton 7500. Better than the 7000 for an extra $30....Unless you must have a repeater.

One thing not mentioned is if your using a rifle you already own figure how much you have in it before you tear it apart.

I think the custom action route will be money well spent.

Also might speed up build time one less thing your smith has to work on if he starts with a ready to go action.

Look at Manners riflestocks....I chose thier MCS-GAT over an A2.....saved a $100.

Hope some of this helps! If nothing else your in the right place for info.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Chawlston

B-A-T. Built from the gound up as a fully custom action. The bolts are machined to fit the action. The sleeving of bolts is to fix a problem that should not exist in the first place. If your action manufacturer has to sleeve the bolt to get a proper fit. Run don't walk away from it and pick another. A custom action should be built correctly from the ground up and they should also have custom manufactured bolts for that action and not a remingtion bolt for the xyz action. If you have one of these and have problems, then that is one more person in chain of repsonsibiity that must be dealt with.

Remember, shooters gravitate toward the best components just like good resturants. Good ones are busy and the ones that are not as busy may not be quite as good. Right now as we type this, most of the really good action companies are back logged 4 to 6 months on deliveries as reported on another website.

Pick one that is fully custom and has enough business that they are in high demand. Also, I would stay away from companies that do other stuff like barrels, triggers, bullets etc besides their actions. What you want is an action company not just a company that produces actions. I picked my actions (all eight of them) years ago and am glad that I got them when I did. I still consider them the best for what I do and they perform flawlessly. If you will spend a little time and talk to some folks who actually have or had some of the actions you are considering vice just "thinking about ordering one"" or have order one", it will be time well spent. Also, go to other websites and get their opinions as well. I hope your selections will give you as much enjoyment as mine have.

James
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

Chawlston, just curious which customs arent built from the ground up,which customs are sleeved and which use a rem bolt in thier action?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

You have been given some very good information on the "rem footprint" actions (lawton, stiller and Borden).

Go with one of them for sure with a hunting rifle.

True completely blueprinted (more than facing the front of the rcvr and lugs) Rem 700s will cost a minimum of $350-500 on top of the action which can be sold for $300-350 very easily. When you are done spending all that money on a 700 it is only worth $350-400 tops, so absolutely no way it makes economic sense UNLESS you do all the gunsmithing work yourself.

I like the BAT for a comp gun but I definitely would not recommend the BAT for a hunting gun for two reasons.

1. Cost compared to the others, they are at least $200-300 more expensive.

2. Most importantly they are built of softer steel than the other actions mentioned. that means for a hunting action, one piece of dirt on the lugs and IT WILL lock up so tight the barrel has to be taken off to get the bolt out. You have to reface the back of the barrel, and lugs. I have first hand experience with my BAT 1k gun with this happening. We found one very small grain of sand/dirt on the lug after getting it apart at the gunsmiths shop.

BH