Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Action Strong Enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Action Strong Enough

jwp475
Belive it or not DG Stopping rifles start at 458 Lott and go up. The 416 Rigby is a good comprmise between a DGR and a Plains game rifle, but it's not a stopper.
When you have a pissed Buff charge from 20' in thick brush and you only have one shot before you become current jelly your rifle is never big enough, and I certanly wnat more than a 416 Rigby. Are if jumbo is so close that you have to shoot up through the jaw for a brain shot or in the chest a 416 will give you less than a 50/50 chance. Those arn'tthe odds I want.
DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Harry Shelby used a 416 Rigby as his stopping rifle for years with no problem,and only stopped useing it when he sent it back to Rigby to be rebarreled, According to Harry it worked just fine. Ross Seyfried whom hunted and guided in Africa for a number of years started of useing a 577 Nitro express and went to a 450 Nitro Express and the to a 416. Ross told me personaly that a 416 was all that was needed and the only way to make a mistake in chooseing one would be to get confused and buy one with a 45 caliber hole in the barrel. The 416 with a 400 grain solid is one of the best penetrsators out there. I don't know where you come up with a 50-50 chance with a 416, but I am not buying it.Ross used a 416 to back up clients and he told me that it would more than do the job as a back rifle on buffalo. I have shot a large number of big rifles up to and includeing the 505 Gibbs and while they are fun and interesting they are not needed. Ross Seyfried also said that true stopping rifles start at 577 and up.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Bronze Member

An overwhelming number of PH's carry the 458 Lott. Recoil is close with the 416 Rigby & 458 Lott, but the Lott does have a bigger diameter. Plus, the lott can use 458 Win ammo which can be found easier if needed and can be built on a wide variety of actions.

If you compare the 458 Lott to the 460 wby or 450 dakota you get about half the recoil with the lott. Yes, I may ONLY be hitting him with 5600 lbs of energy vs 6700 lbs, but so what if I can't shoot straight. In fact, if I can't shoot straight and wound him, I'm more likely to get charged!

Seems to me that the 458 lott is the best choice for a DG rifle....even if you can stop a charge with a 416 Rigby.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

Roll-Your-Own
You are correct the Montana Action is cast. The company that does the casting is owned by Ruger and also cast the Ruger actions. I've talked to a couple of gunsmithis that use the montana actions and strength is not a problem. The tolerances on the ruger and Montana action arn't as tight as you would want on a long range hunting rifle or competition gun, but this loosenesss is desrible on a DGR that will be used on a dusty safari. with DGR reliabilty is paramount not accurcy, as long as you can hit a grapfruit at fifty yards you have enough accracy. Rember the post about Mark V actions sticking this is what happen with a actin that is to tight.

DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Here is an action that will handle your cartrdige
http://www.empirerifles.com/Options.htm
Kinda pricey but what I would have bought if I hadn't
gotten a Dakota.
Left hand is no problem with either.
On the other hand you could buy a Dakota action.