Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Action Strong Enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: Action Strong Enough

That is why I'm debating now between the Lott and the 416 Rigby. The 416 has less energy, but less recoil as well.

I'm going to check on how muzzle brakes are viewed on dangerous game hunts. If brakes are a non-issue then it will be the Lott.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]

I've also read that its best to unscrew the muzzlebreak when in the field so you don't lose hearing after the shot and possibly not hear an animal charging from the flank or rear. Sound to me like a pair of those earphones that let you hear everything then shut down upon a loud blast would be the solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi if you fire a large calibre big game rifle you will not hear much even without a brake. Hearing the charge of another animal you would not hear it with or without the brake. As you stated get some good quality ear mufs that are noise activated and wear them all the time while hunting they will actualy help you find the game as they intensify the noises around you. Leave the brake on as it will give you a much faster recovery if you require a seccond shot.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 07-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
That is why I'm debating now between the Lott and the 416 Rigby. The 416 has less energy, but less recoil as well.

I'm going to check on how muzzle brakes are viewed on dangerous game hunts. If brakes are a non-issue then it will be the Lott.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 416 Rgby and once owned a 458 Win and my opion is if you can't do with a 416 then a 458 caliber ( 458 Win,458 Lott,460 Weatherby,etc.) aint going to do it either,If you need more just move up to a 105 that ought to do it
Old 07-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

Aren't brakes illegal in certain parts of africa or at least not permited by the PH's?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Buckmaster
Breaks are not illegal any where that I have heard of, certainly not Africa. Some PHs don’t like breaks but I never have heard of one turning down a client over a brake.

In the world of DGR the frontal area of a projectile is a major factor in lethality meaning that if every thing else is equal a 458 cal will out perform a 416 cal… For a good review of this topic read A-squares reloading manual Any Shot You Want
DR B

“ Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

I hear that too about brakes being illegal in areas or certain PH's not allowing brakes.

I aslo calculated recoil on the 458 lott and 416 rigby. Seems that if I use a 450 grain in the lott then recoil is about the same as the ribgy with a 400 grain. With a brake it doesn't matter anyway.

Now I just need to figure out what action...
I'd like a pre-64 win, but I'm left handed and they only come in right. Other than Empire Rifles, all the custom actions are push feed.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

Remember if there is any failure on your or your rifle's part the guide usualy will have a large bore double or very reliable bolt action to follow up with in any unforseen situations. So is control round feed required? i dont know only you can make that decision. Also if you go with a 458Lott the actions you can use are a lot more than the larger Rigby diameter bolthead.

Cheers Bill
Australia