Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Action Strong Enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Gold Member

Re: Action Strong Enough

Prechtl-Golmatic mauser actions are really nice and will handle any african big cartridge. May be a bit pricey though.
http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_EN/bue.../system_en.htm

Pete Lincoln in Germany may be able to assist you.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Yep the recoil of an unbraked 460 is pretty much unbareable it gives you an honest to goodness case of flinching.
You typicaly end up with a bad headach sore shoulder and cheek and a new respect for grand dads old feather weight
M-70 in 30-06.
In all honesty , with my training I would much rather use a well built M4 AR or well built Rem 870 12 ga as a backup gun for THIN skinned game , bears , big cats and people but for thigs like Rhino and Cape Buffalo you realy don't have any other choice but a realy big chunk for monolythic lead of something of that sort.
I still not sure that the added recoil over the 458Win and 458Lott are realy going to do you much good especialy if you know that a poor setup getting the gun to your should will likly break somthing in you body
Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

That mauser action looks great. The problem is that I'm a lefty and have yet to see a LH mauser action.

On another note, why don't you put a brake on that 460 wby? I'm not recoil shy, but I see no reason to shoot a gun with almost 100 lbs of recoil.

I originally I wanted a 458 lott, but I heard it is a pain to reload for a straight case.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

The 458 Lott would be a better option in my opinion. If you go over seas on a hunt and your ammo does not arreive for an unforseen reason you probably cant buy any ammo in 45 cal except 458 Win Mag and you can use it in the Lott without any trouble. It also allows you to use any left hand action that was designed for the 375 H&H. I know controled round feed can help but if you practice you will not need it. I have never double fed a bolt action rifle but have not been charged by dangerous game either. A left hand controled feed action might be hard to find i would look at a Rem action and the Lott. The straight cases are not hard at all to load for they are easier because you do not have to wory about shorteneng the headspace. Just size the cast then expand/flare the case mouth. Seat primer, measure powder. Seat and crimp the projectile. No hassles. This is a better option in my opinion and also place a Viass type brake on the end. Also have the extractor replaced with a new one to make sure it is not fatigued. Also the straight cases feed very well.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

I bought my 460 used , the former owner had it built to his specs. I'm gonna eventualy have a Vias brake put on it, that just doesn't rank real high on my list of things that need to be done, and one day probably rechamberd to 378Wby or somthing along those lines.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

I heard that you have to seat the bullet perfectly or you have problems with the extraction.

Although nearly everything I've read on the subject says that the 458 lott is THE cartridge to get for dangerous game. Likewise, I've consistently read that 460 wby's or 450 dakotas are overkill due to the excessive recoil.

I've also read that its best to unscrew the muzzlebreak when in the field so you don't lose hearing after the shot and possibly not hear an animal charging from the flank or rear. Sound to me like a pair of those earphones that let you hear everything then shut down upon a loud blast would be the solution.

I'm now leaning toward the 458 lott, but still investigating a 416 rigby as well.

Lastly there is a company in New Hampshire that makes mauser actions "Empire Rifles", has anyone heard of them?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

I know a guy that has a rifle built by Empire and he says the quality is on par with a David Miller built pre64 Winchester which is top quality.

I'm not sure what type of critters your trying to stop but like it has been said the excessive recoil may cause a problem as far as hitting what your aiming at. I would gladly give up a couple thopusand pounds of energy for a quick follow up shot and a chance to double what energy I have.