Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Action Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Action Question

You should go for the .30-378 Wby Mag if you wanna 1-up them. It's a monster. Make sure you put a radial brake on the skinny end.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'm guessing by "hunting" you don't mean Long Range Hunting? The 375 Ruger has greater case capacity than the H&H and the 375 RUM has greater case capacity than the Ruger. If I was picking a 375 "hunting" round for large game, say out to 400 yds or so, I would pick one of these. My first choice of action for any 375 build would be a custom. After that it would be a Mark V or 700. In the case of the 700, I would replace the bolt and recoil lug.

A 378 Wby would top the heap of common factory cartridges but very spendy compared to the the RUM or Ruger. If you went with the 378 I would recommend a custom action first followed by the Mark V.

My smith who is currently building a 300 RUM on a 700 action for me is a big Mark V and 378 series fan. He has done hundreds of them.

If I was going to build that class fo 375, I would do a 338 Lapua Imp version on a custom action. I would not do a Lapua class cartridge on a factory action and if I did, it would be a Mark V.

For a LR 375, I would look at 408 Cheytac or something in that class like a 375 AM.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 AM

I am set on the 378 wby. I am aware that it may not be the greatest choice for L.R. or at least not much over 500-600yds. However that is not my concern for this gun. I want it to stop a Buick in its tracks and look good doing it. I have two long range rifles at this time chambered in 257 Wby. and 300 RUM. My next project will be 338-378 Wby. which will be built matching the 378. I have did a little research on 408 and as impressive as it is I am turned off by the availability of components for it as well as the service of the company.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

A Stiller TAC 338 action has a bolt face that will work. That's what I used.
Good Luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM

I checked on the Stiller tac 338 action this afternoon. I also checked with Montana rifles and will most likely go with them unless I can locate a stainless mark v action.