Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Action Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Action Question

I want to build a custom 378 Weatherby Mag. Which actions can I use? Any custom or factory actions? Where can I get one?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Action Question

I would suggest finding a Weatherby Mark-V action that was previously for a .378 case round and using it...Such as .30-378, .338-378, or .378 Wby. not sure, but the larger caliber Weatherby might be based off the same parent case, but I'm not positive.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM

I like the weatherby actions but I am curious if any other actions are capable of handling it.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

I am a big fan of the Mark-V actions as well. I love the 60* bolt-throw. I have a Mark-V AccuMark in .257 Wby Mag, and it's one smooth shooter. I want another AccuMark in .30-378 Wby just for fun.

Well, there's alot of guys building custom .338 Lapua's on trued Remington 700 magnum actions, and having great success with them. So I would assume that it would be able to handle the .378 Wby as well. Plus, the 700's are a tried & true action. Parts are readily available. And every smith knows how to true one of them up. Personally, I'm a huge Rem 700 fan. Alot of guys on here aren't for some reason. I've always have good experiences with them over the years.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM

I am actually researching the m700 ultra mag action. I am not having much luck finding anyone who has built a 378 on anything other than weatherby actions. I am still hoping more possibilities out there to build on.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

For what purpose are you building this rifle?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 PM

I am building the rifle for a couple big game hunting trips we are scheduling as well as pretty much one upping my two buddies who have 375 h&h and brag endlessly.