Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

action and barrel coating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: action and barrel coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post

I know of no coating that seals the surfaces of the bore.

Melonite/ nitriding treats (coats) everything. Montana rifleman says he has his done. Im very interested but there's not a lot of access it that treatment for me right now. Id like him to post pics of the finished product.

I used ceramicoat on a SS barrel once ,prepped the hell out of it and it still chips.
Here are some pics of the parts before the rifles were reassembled.

Back From Black Nitride

I am very pleased with the finish. It is by far the most durable you will get on a gun. I put a small flat file on the under side of one of my barrels and did not scratch it (not a whole lot of pressure was used) When I turned the file on the corner of it's edge, I was able to make a mark.

The exterior black finish is actually a ferrous oxide coat and it can be fully or partially polished off with some good amount of effort. The under layer is the molecularly changed nitride surface which has an increased hardness and is extremely durable and corrosion resistant.

I plan to do all my actions and barrels in the future. I like the matte black finish but if someone wanted to cerakote a different color over it, that is possible.

Hopefully I'll get some pics of the completed rifles soon and I'll post here. I was going to start a thread on it but I've been having some pressure issues with the rifles and am working that out. Not sure what the nitride process might have to do with it but I might have done something in the post nitirding cleaning of the bores to cause it. I know others are not having the same issues including a member who lives near me. He has had very good results and is very happy.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
That would be very useful. I see guys talk about nitriding their barrels, but have seen very little reported in the way of concrete results from doing so. As I understand it, Meloniting is a method of HBN coating, correct?
H&M Metal Processing: What is Black Nitride?

http://blacknitride.com/img/corrosion-resistance.jpg

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

Thanks a bunch Mark.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 AM

I have no experience with the product but I have been looking into this subject myself. It is called Dyna-Bore Coat at ExtremeGunCare It is described as formally known as Ultra-Bore Coat is now Dyna-Bore Coat. Dyna-Bore Coat was developed to eliminate or greatly reduce all types of fouling that occurs in firearm bores. Use the Search function on this site for other posts on the product.

The following article talks about Dyna-Bore Coat (DBC)> Revolutionary Rifle Products | Guns Magazine

It talks about it being a ceramic-based product. Essentially it’s microscopic particles of clear ceramic in a quick-setting liquid glue, applied to the bore like any cleaning solvent, with a cotton patch or bore mop. After the glue dries, firing half a dozen “curing” shots melts and compresses the ceramic into small imperfections in the bore, but also lays a thin layer of the ceramic over the smooth portions of the bore. As a result the bore fouls much less, and is also protected from moisture. It goes into a lot of detail if you are interested.

I would like to hear from anyone with real world experience with this product myself.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Norrell's Molly is easy to work with and tough as nails. Just did two barrled actions last week.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparock View Post
It is described as formally known as Ultra-Bore Coat is now Dyna-Bore Coat. Dyna-Bore Coat was developed to eliminate or greatly reduce all types of fouling that occurs in firearm bores.

I would like to hear from anyone with real world experience with this product myself.
I purchased and applied Ultra-Bore Coat. It didn't do anything for my bores. I considered it a waste of time and money.

I know that the outdoor writer John Barsness really likes the product. I tried it after reading his articles. Maybe I got a bad batch. I followed the instructions and... nothing. No notable change in bore fouling. And I tried it on several bores.