Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

action and barrel coating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: action and barrel coating

I'd like a thread on this so we all can learn more and hear your experiences and where to get it done.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Its not a coating. Its a chemical change to the first couple of thousandths of surface.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
...If that were happening the chromoly bolt in your stainless action would fail. Stainless also galls easier, that's why it has a chromoly bolt.
Not all stainless actions have chrome moly bolts. Most of my rifles are Winchester M70's and their bolts are stainless. I have had no problems with galling, keeping the lugs properly lubed will stop any galling tendencies.

Everything's a trade off. Stainless actions are plenty strong, if they weren't then most custom actions wouldn't be made from stainless. Heat treating plays a major role in the tensile strength so it's not as simple as saying chrome moly is stronger than stainless because it varies with the individual pieces. Depending upon the heat treating, a stainless action might very well be much stronger than it's chrome moly counterpart. Another metric is fracture toughness, resistance to fracturing, in which stainless is generally superior to 4140. Stainless actions have been in use for many years so it's safe to say that the strength of stainless is a non-issue. Yes, you can coat, nitride, or treat chrome moly in various manners to improve corrosion resistance but why bother with that when you can get the properties you want by using stainless. Also, coatings like cerakote wear off in high use areas after a while and I personally am not crazy about the painted look.

The only reason not to use stainless for an action that I consider to be halfway legitimate is some people find chrome moly to be smoother. I haven't noticed that effect but if it's something that bothers you in an action then that would be a reason for using chrome moly.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

My favorite look is a matte black barrel, preferably fluted. It doesn't look painted to me, more like stained like bluing. So what kind of coating do I have then? Not cerakote? or Cerakote, what is it?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycrow View Post
The only reason not to use stainless for an action that I consider to be halfway legitimate is some people find chrome moly to be smoother. I haven't noticed that effect but if it's something that bothers you in an action then that would be a reason for using chrome moly.
Smoothness wouldn't be on my list of reasons. Strength, galling, and the option to blue in some instances would be mine.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Gold Member

Many times when actions and bolts are made from the same material they will use two different temper's to resist galling. This applies to the majority of alloys ferrous or non.

Overall tensile properties arent really a considerable factor between stainless and chromoly because most manufacturers run mild tempers to get better toughness instead of hardness. They dont want either to fracture during the mild streching that takes place during firing.

At maximum tensile 17-4 and 416 will loose out to 4140 and 4130 by about 30-60k lbs, but i dont think any manufacturer is using these metals at the tempers required for those numbers. If tensile was a concern there are metals out there that could be used to trump all the above.

Often times stainless is easier to leave a nice finish on then chromoly and its resistance to corrosion is why i, personally, think custom action and barrel makers prefer to use it. I know i personally would rather cut 17-4 over any carbon based steel any day of the week. Im actually cutting 17-4 DH1150 right now as we speak.

Also QPQ ( quench polish quench ) is a very common stainless surface treatment that also somewhat acts as a case hardening further reducing galling and corrosion. This is very popular with stainless parts of all kinds including actions.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
My favorite look is a matte black barrel, preferably fluted. It doesn't look painted to me, more like stained like bluing. So what kind of coating do I have then? Not cerakote? or Cerakote, what is it?
Could be QPQ or black phosphate. Both end up flat black.