Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

action and barrel coating

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,485
Re: action and barrel coatingblackicecoatings.com,

wtt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 347
Re: action and barrel coating

.

I know of no coating that seals the surfaces of the bore.

Melonite/ nitriding treats (coats) everything. Montana rifleman says he has his done. Im very interested but there's not a lot of access it that treatment for me right now. Id like him to post pics of the finished product.

I used ceramicoat on a SS barrel once ,prepped the hell out of it and it still chips.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 930
Re: action and barrel coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post
.

I know of no coating that seals the surfaces of the bore.

Melonite/ nitriding treats (coats) everything. Montana rifleman says he has his done. Im very interested but there's not a lot of access it that treatment for me right now. Id like him to post pics of the finished product.

I used ceramicoat on a SS barrel once ,prepped the hell out of it and it still chips.
I am aware of the melonite/nitriding process, but I have understood that as something that provides increased lubricity and resistance to throat erosion. What little I know about that had me thinking of it as a better alternative to moly, but that is about all I know on the subject. I have never seen it discussed as having anti-corrosive properties, though I suppose that might make sense.

Are you privy to any information regarding the anti-corrosive properties of such a treatment? I have only heard of this being applied to internal surfaces. Is it commonly used to coat everything? If not, it would seem that having internals nitrided and externals coated with something else would be a much more expensive alternative to stainless.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 127
Re: action and barrel coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Chromoly is stronger.
By an insignificant amount, it's not like stainless actions are failing due to this supposed weakness.

I'm with the other poster who said all his hunting rifles are stainless, mine are also. I live in a wet humid environment and stainless offers significant benefits I can't overlook. I won't even consider building or buying a chrome moly rifle for hunting. If it's a safe queen or only gets pulled out for target shooting then it really doesn't matter, but anything that gets hunted is stainless for me.

If you want it coated then cerakote is the most popular. I like the look of bead blasted stainless so I don't coat mine.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,232
Re: action and barrel coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycrow View Post
By an insignificant amount, it's not like stainless actions are failing due to this supposed weakness.

I'm with the other poster who said all his hunting rifles are stainless, mine are also. I live in a wet humid environment and stainless offers significant benefits I can't overlook. I won't even consider building or buying a chrome moly rifle for hunting. If it's a safe queen or only gets pulled out for target shooting then it really doesn't matter, but anything that gets hunted is stainless for me.

If you want it coated then cerakote is the most popular. I like the look of bead blasted stainless so I don't coat mine.
Insignificant is somewhat subjective. It's about 30% stronger, I don't consider that insignificant. It's true stainless actions aren't failing from weakness. It's also true that chromoly actions aren't failing from rust. If that were happening the chromoly bolt in your stainless action would fail. Stainless also galls easier, that's why it has a chromoly bolt.

An action is easy to coat. A coated chromoly action will be more corrosion resistant than a bare stainless action action. The coating will also improve the operation of either action. If you like the bead blasted bare stainless look, you could coat a chromoly action with NP3 and it would be stronger than stainless, more corrosion resistant, smoother to operate, and still have that look. You could also coat your stainless action and improve everything except the strength.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 347
Re: action and barrel coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
I am aware of the melonite/nitriding process, but I have understood that as something that provides increased lubricity and resistance to throat erosion. What little I know about that had me thinking of it as a better alternative to moly, but that is about all I know on the subject. I have never seen it discussed as having anti-corrosive properties, though I suppose that might make sense.

Are you privy to any information regarding the anti-corrosive properties of such a treatment? I have only heard of this being applied to internal surfaces. Is it commonly used to coat everything? If not, it would seem that having internals nitrided and externals coated with something else would be a much more expensive alternative to stainless.
It is a hot salt bath. Everything is treated. I should start a thread specifically for melonite so guys who've had it would give their experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 930
Re: action and barrel coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post
It is a hot salt bath. Everything is treated. I should start a thread specifically for melonite so guys who've had it would give their experiences.
That would be very useful. I see guys talk about nitriding their barrels, but have seen very little reported in the way of concrete results from doing so. As I understand it, Meloniting is a method of HBN coating, correct?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC