Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

action and barrel coating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 PM

action and barrel coating

quick dumb question, looking for a used Rem 700 to build. With all the coatings and finishes for the actions is it a big difference between a blued action or stainless?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: action and barrel coating

The answer to that question would depend greatly on the conditions under which you expect to use your rifle. Though I am not a fan of stainless, it has some pretty big advantages in very wet environments and places where salt water is present.

I use coatings on my rifles (all regular chrome moly steel), but keep in mind that the coatings mostly protect the exterior metal surfaces. I know of no coating that seals the surfaces of the bore. Likewise, most coatings are not applied to chamber or bolt locking lug surfaces/recesses. Because of that, stainless still holds some advantages in certain situations.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

All of my hunting rifles are stainless... I would never even consider a blued action/barrel. But what benchracer said is right on. if your gun is never going to see rain/snow/humidity/etc, then stainless will not do much for you. I backpack hunt and my gun is going to be more or less wet every morning. in the tent there is too much condensation from breathing, and outside everything is covered in dew.

although, the first elk rifle i bought over two decades ago was blued, and when I installed a custom stainless barrel I had the entire setup teflon coated. I hunted with that rifle for years in a lot of bad weather and the teflon protected the action perfectly.

And even though my guns are stainless, i still teflon coat them. The guy that did the work on my rifles owns blackicecoatings.com and his work is exellent. I would highly recommend them. Very affordable too.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler75 View Post
quick dumb question, looking for a used Rem 700 to build. With all the coatings and finishes for the actions is it a big difference between a blued action or stainless?
A chromoly action is a better action.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
A chromoly action is a better action.
Why do you think chromoly actions are superior?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift141 View Post
Why do you think chromoly actions are superior?
Chromoly is stronger.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

I had a few spots of rust after a wet hunt with my chromoly .257 Wby. Traded some reloading with a friend that does custom Cerakoting, barrel, action, rings, bottom metal, bolt and all screws. Now protected.