Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Accurizing A-Bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Accurizing A-Bolt?

Im going to take in my Browning A-Bolt .300WSM to get the trigger lightened and
I was wondering if getting the action bedded and barrel floated would improve accuracy?
What else can be done with going to the extreme of a new barrel, action truing ect?

cheers
Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Accurizing A-Bolt?

While the rifle is at the Smith's I would have him lap the bolt lugs to ensure full/equal engagement.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Bronze Member

Excuse the late entry, but based on my limited experience with a very accurate A Bolt out of the box, "accurizing" this weapon is difficult. Lightning the trigger is about the only thing you can do to effectively change the characteristics of this rifle, other than working up an accurate load for it or playing with the BOSS, if you have that. Some may disagree with that, but that is my take.

I love my Abolt, but I probably wouldn't buy another one for the same reasons as mentioned above.

Unless they have changed the newer models, the ABolt trigger can be adjusted pretty easily if you have their user manual. I wouldn't take it on myself, but I do know it can be done without going to a gunsmith. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do! Jim R
Old 11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Im going to take in my Browning A-Bolt .300WSM to get the trigger lightened and
I was wondering if getting the action bedded and barrel floated would improve accuracy?
What else can be done with going to the extreme of a new barrel, action truing ect?

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]
A-bolt's are freefloated and bedded.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. Mine does not have the boss. I adjusted the trigger myself but it is still too heavy for my liking.
I might have to handload for it, I have been trying to sneak around handloading as its a deer stalking rifle and I only fires one shot last season [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

cheers
Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Skip , Timney makes a spring kit for the A-bolts that realy helps with getting a lighter trigger , their about $20 from Brownells.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Thanks mate, I ve got it worked out.
It shot 180gn AB Factory rounds at just over an inch with the heavy trigger, I expect 1" to be its capability with factory ammo.
Im trying to decide if reloading is worth it at this stage as 300m is a massive shot for the area that which I hunt.

cheers