Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Accurate 7mm mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

Accurate 7mm mag?

Hey All

I am new to the site, I have been shotting long range for a few years but I have recently wanted to buy a rifle designated as a long range elk hunting rifle. I think the 7mm rem mag with a 162 grain A-max will fit the bill quit nicely. Here's my problem, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for and cant afford a custom rifle. So here's my question: Who makes the most accurate factory 7mm mag rifle for 1000.00 or less? I have been looking at the savage 111 long range hunter, however I have couple issues. First I am not a real fan of muzzle brakes and the LRH comes with one factory. Second I read the Dae Petzle review and he seemed to be really impressed with the rifle but I read a post on here with a person not being paid to like a rifle saying they were not impressed. What are some good options for an accurate 7mm mag? Also when I say accurate I don't mean 3 rounds at 100 yards I mean like 5 rounds at 200 and beyond. Any sugesstions would be greatly appreciated.

Thaks for everyones time.

RidgeRebel
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Accurate 7mm mag?

I have a Savage BVSS 112 in 7mm mag that I really like. Northland Shooters Supply still has a few of them in stock, but I don't think Savage produces them anymore.

For 1000 bucks you could easily buy a Stevens/Savage action and fit a nice Shilen or other pre-fit barrel on it. Add a stock and maybe an aftermarket trigger and you should be good to go.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

I have a savage 116 with factory brake, the accuracy is good with 162 amax, shooting .5moa. The velocity is low with 22" of barrel and 2" of brake making up the 24" barrel. I think the long range hunter is 2 inches longer than mine. With the factory recoil pad, I don't see a need for the brake. I agree that the BVSS would be a great choice. You could also look for a used Sendero, I have one in 7RUM and the accuracy is about the same with the Amax only 500 fps faster than my savage 7RM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the site first of all.

Second. The Remy Sendero would be my top pick IMHO.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

remington sendero or winchester laredo( no boss). of course i like a vais brake on mine.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Northland Shooter's Supply is out of the 7 mag in 112BVSS, but they still have the acitons. I'd pick up an action, heavy duty recoil lug and a nice Lilja or whatever barrel in the caliber you choose, then put it all in a B&C A2 style stock and skim bed it. Put a Defensive Edge adjustable cheekrest on the stock and you're in about 1K and it should shoot nasty good.

Jim at NSS also told me he would take the barrel off of one of the 300WM 112BVSS guns he does have in stock for you and sell a "stocked action" if that is more appealing. Then just mount your barrel and shoot lasers.

A custom rig at an affordable price. I am in no way affiliated with NSS or B&C or DE, this just seems like a logical combination that will shoot good for years and should outshoot the various Remmys in stock form including the Sendero. I've seen a couple Senderos shoot dimes, but a couple that wouldn't also.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Northland Shooter's Supply is out of the 7 mag in 112BVSS, but they still have the acitons. I'd pick up an action, heavy duty recoil lug and a nice Lilja or whatever barrel in the caliber you choose, then put it all in a B&C A2 style stock and skim bed it. Put a Defensive Edge adjustable cheekrest on the stock and you're in about 1K and it should shoot nasty good.

Jim at NSS also told me he would take the barrel off of one of the 300WM 112BVSS guns he does have in stock for you and sell a "stocked action" if that is more appealing. Then just mount your barrel and shoot lasers.

A custom rig at an affordable price. I am in no way affiliated with NSS or B&C or DE, this just seems like a logical combination that will shoot good for years and should outshoot the various Remmys in stock form including the Sendero. I've seen a couple Senderos shoot dimes, but a couple that wouldn't also.
Or, just buy the 300win mag in 112bvss for $6xx, buy a barrel kit in the caliber of choice with wrench and go/no go gauges and have a switch barrel system you can change yourself (one of the many benefits of the Savage) and still be under a grand...