Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Accuracy problems SAKO TRG 42 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Re: Accuracy problems SAKO TRG 42 338 Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRG42 View Post
I am shooting without the muzzle break - you will ruin your ears for life by just shooting once without ear protection. Recoil is mild - I expected a lot more, but keep in mind, the rifle is quite heavy.

Shooting skills - I shoot a lot and all my other high caliber rifle do half inch on 220 yards (200 meter) or better.

I finally got the Sako to shoot ok'ish. It does not like 250gr Bergers, it does not like Hornady SST..... When I finally got hold of some 250gr Lapua Scenar, the groups came down to about 1 inch on 220 yards. It is ok, but nothing to write home about. I will have to play a bit with seating depth now. I just cannot understand why the rifle will shoot strings of 2-3 inches on 200 with all the other bullets( I tried loading all sorts of seating depths.... etc) and then suddenly shoot with the Lapuas. Something tells me there is a problem with the throat/muzzle or something - Does any expert have any idea why this could be?
Glad you found something that works for you, 1" at 220 yards is half MOA, which is very acceptable, if you can do that repetitively. I agree it could get a bit better but nevertheless, if you can stick with that at all distances, you are in business. Shooting the .338 without muzzle brake is, obviously, doable but usually not recommended for most shooters, the TRG 42 is not all that heavy at 11 3/4 lbs (naked) but it looks like it works for you. I will be able to say more about this within the next 2 weeks, as my TRG 42 should be shipped tomorrow. Now I wish to be able to find some H1000 or Retumbo but it looks like it is MIA just about all over. This powder situation is 100% ridiculous.
I wish you the best in your future and coming up loads, looks like you are on the right track.
Good shooting.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Hi Ombre

Any news on your 338? How does it shoo? Which bullet/seating deapth etc?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRG42 View Post
Hi Ombre

Any news on your 338? How does it shoo? Which bullet/seating deapth etc?

Thanks

Hi D

Answered by PM.