Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

accuracy potential of Win 70 with controlled round feeder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: accuracy potential of Win 70 with controlled round feeder

OK,mudstud. I'll "go into it" regarding some of the Rem 7XX action issues. These shortcommings have been told to me by folks who built some of the most accurate centerfire rifles as well as my own experiences with one. No, not benchrest, but NRA highpower match rifles chambered for various cartridges.

Recoil lug; sometimes will bend if making contact only at its bottom against the recoil shoulder in heavy-recoiling rifles.

Extractor; breaks a lot. Many have been replaced with a Sako or M16 style which is very good.

Special tool needed to change firing pin spring; something that needs to be done about once a year to maintain proper primer ignition.

Short bolt handle; hard to grab easily in rapid fire.

Receiver tang can bend; especially when rear stock screw is tightened up too much.

Round receiver twists loose from epoxy bedding; (mentioned this before, here's the rest of the story). When using bullets heavier than 160 grains, the twist from bullets going down the rifling torques the receiver. With nothing to hold the receiver in place except the recoil lug, they tended to work loose after a few hundred rounds. Some US military rifle teams tried using 2-inch long recoil lugs but their 30 caliber magnums on Rem. 7XX actions still worked loose. Sleeving these receivers (flat sides & flat bottom sleeve) was first done by benchresters who had similar but smaller problems and the highpower folks ended up doing the same thing to solve the problem. How much did accuracy suffer? About 1/4th to 1/3rd moa; enough that top competitors could tell the difference.

I don't know of any NRA match rifle based on a Rem. 7XX action that's shot as accurate as one built on a Win. 70 action.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

Hi Ian,
Looks like you missed the secret word "had" a Winchester Stealth.
It is currently for sale with a Registered Firearms Dealer, If you are still interested email me and i will send you
the details.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM

thanks guys for all the answers, I really appreciate them. The winchester 70 is really the rifle I like the most, so I also liked your answers ;-)

Lab
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Ian,
Tempting, verrrry tempting. But fact is I am about full right now with upcoming gundeals. Too many rifles, too many booolits, not enough time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]