Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Accuracy International rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 12:44 PM

Accuracy International rifles.

New to this Great Board.

Regarding the Accuracy International AWP and AWS rifles chambered in 308 NATO, 300 WM and 338 Lapua Magnum:

Are they often used in Bench Rest competitions?

Are they regarded as Tack Driving accurate in comparisson to the Modern Hot Rodded custom guns of which the Accuracy International prices indicate?

How is the overall Quality of the Accuracy International rifles?

How is the Thumb hole Stock to shoot and hold steady?

Are the Accuracy International actions and barrels regarded on par with the modern Hot Rodded rifles of which are discussed on this board?

Respectfully. Pedro
Old 09-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accuracy International rifles.

[ 03-14-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 09-12-2002, 07:13 AM

BountyHunter.

The shooters on this page use the same rifle for both hunting and targeting correct? If so, would you regard Accuracy International
AW's as more a NATO based military police configuration instead of a precision tolerance weapon of which the action itself would serve as a custom rifle builders platform? Would you regard the Remington PSS 700 action as more accurate and stronger and more apt for custom rifles than the AI action?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:10 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Sausage,

I'm gonna try to read between the lines and take a guess at somthing.

You like the "Sniper Style" rifles and you have been to sniper sites where they rave about AI rifles. You also want a rifle you can compete with and hunt with?? I think I may be close. I had the same problem. If I were you here's what I would do. If you have the money to spend on an AI. Here's a way to spend it better.

GO to a good smith. Jerry Rice ( Nor-Cal) George Gardner ( THE Rock rifles ) Pac-Nor Etc.

Get a Rem action trued, blue printed etc. get a heavy barrel fluted, tight tolerance chamber and throat. Get an A2 or A3 stock, Jewell trigger ( adj. from 8 oz to 4.5 lbs ) get an custom break installed ( tactical vent system, Holland etc. ) Get a Leupold 8.5-25 LR ( mil-dot ) or a Nightforce 5.5 - 22 NXS ( mil-dot) get a good set of reloading dies ( Redding ) good brass ( win., Lapua, Norma ) Get some Sierra Match Kings. Go pratice a whole lot and you have a .2's rifle you can probobly compete with and with out a doubt hunt with.

I worked for me !!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2002, 08:33 AM

WyoWhisper:

Thank You for your input.

I had been tormented for 2 years in selecting a Accuracy International or Blaser 93 Tactical chambered in 338 Lapua. What was was mysterious about these high end rifles is I had never seen or heard of them in bench competitions or Smiths ever Hot Rodding them or thier actions. My objective was and still is to try and master one caliber, one optic, one hunting bullet, in one rifle for both hunting and targeting. I finaly settled on a HS Precision 2000 HTR chambered in 300 Remington Ultra magnum containing the HS precision proprietary muzzle Break and 30mm rings and Bases for $1900. I have a US Optics ST-10 10X fixed power with lit mil dot scope on order. I did not want to cut corners as I had done in the past. I hope I made a good choice and do not want to later find out that the Accuracy Internationals and Blaser R93 tacticals chambered in 338 Lapua can do things that the HTR chambered in 300 RUM can't.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

I agree with WHYOWHISPER that better to built some ''better'' by a good and skill gunsmith

AI rifle are good but that make lot $$$$$ ( too much ) to get a 1/2 moa rifle for $5000 and more

take the best

NESIKA tactical $1500
PAC NOR barrel $500 ( chambered fitted )
MacMILLAN stock ( no a AI but the best for me ) a A4 full option $750 with bedding
a timney tactical trigger $125
a trigger guard milled steel $300
hight tech coat on metal parts $400
a set of tacticals rings ( Nesika have a rail on the reciver ) $150
a good scope as Leupold M1 Premier $1200

total cost is $4925 for a complete rifle ( built the top parts ) and able to shoot real tight groups and for a cost under the cost of a AI so except to be able to say I am the owner of a AI rifle put money in real accuracy .

AI are good rifle but AI marketing is far better than their rifles .

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 09-12-2002, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Pedro

Blazer are perhaps strong but when I look at the lugs system .... I prefer shoot another rifle specialy in big caliber as 338 LM or 416 REM ...

and the parts quality look as a low cost rifles ( cast , plastic molden ... ) at this level of price that a bit sad .I have several shooters friends with Blazer rifle and I feel that this rifle is more nice made on a picture than on the range .

In germany a company built the DRS1 rifle retail price is near 10000$ in FRANCE and a magazine 10 shots ( in pure plastic ) cost 450$ and at this price except a look for the next ALLIEN movie you shoot in the 1/2 moa 3/4 moa .

purchase real and proven accuracy and save money to purchase ammo and reload components .

good shooting

DAN TEC