Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

accubond point of impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: accubond point of impact

I agree with what has been stated--just load the Accubonds and forget the BTs.

Two years ago I loaded my Remington CDL in 280 Rem with both 140 Accubonds and 140 grain Nosler BTs using the same brass, powder, primers etc and found that they shot close enough to shoot deer out to 300 yards with either load without changing the scope setting. Since I though I would be taking shots past 200 yards I loaded the gun with the BTs. I sat in a blind and had a deer cross in front of me at about 100 yards I make a perfect shot on the deer just behind the front shoulder. The deer only went about 30 yards before hitting the ground so the BT did a number on the deer, but when we dressed the deer we found that the bullet had blown up inside the deer. It did a number of him, but if it had been necessary from me to have taken an angled shot I don't think the BT would have been the best choice.

Since that time I only load my 280 with Accubond and I took a large deer a year ago at an angle that I don't think the BT would have done the job like the Accubond did.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: accubond point of impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortmagman View Post
.........but when we dressed the deer we found that the bullet had blown up inside the deer. It did a number of him, but if it had been necessary from me to have taken an angled shot I don't think the BT would have been the best choice......

I was with a guy in Wyoming that shot a mulie with a BT and it also blew up inside. Not something I would use.

Johnny