Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Accubond failures?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Silver Member
Re: Accubond failures?

I only have one experience driving plastic tipped bonded bullets through the shoulder of an elk, but here it is. Bull was quartering towards me at 30 yards on a steep hill side covered with snow. I didn't want him to go anywhere but where he was so I decided to break him down. I put the crosshairs of my .300 Winchester Magnum right on the point of the shoulder. The load was a 200 grain Nosler Accubond fueled by a health dose of H1000 for a chronographed average of 3,038 for ten shots just prior to the hunt. That bullet went through the point of that shoulder, making a nice quarter sized hole all the way through, while making bone mush all along the way. The bullet continued on through the rib cage, again making the nice quarter sized hole, into the vitals. It handily took out the vitals in its path. As I was field dressing the elk I was scooping out the blood in the bottom of the cavity when I found what was left of the bullet. There was still 102 grains, or 51% of that bullet left. Yes, Nosler advertises 60% I know, but you've got to cut some slack when it basically goes from muzzle velocity to bone. What was left of it was as nice a mushroom as you could expect for that violent of collision. I doubt I could have expected any better performance out of a Partition. In my opinion, that is pretty good performance.

Unread 09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

I may have to put this one in my terminal ballistics X-files

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that. Just like anyone else that has killed some game, you know there are mysteries we just aren't gonna find the answers to.

I guessing, based on the additional information you have given that the Accubond probably did end up in three pieces. However, given that the largest of the three holes was approximtately 1/2" and the other two were smaller, I am going to put my money on the bullet staying intact pretty well and the 1/2" hole being the exit for the actual bullet. I will be willing to bet that when the rib was hit on the onside that that may have made the bullet loose a couple of pieces of shrapnell that explain the other two holes.

From my experience with the Accubond, I would be willing to bet that if you were able to find the bullet in question you would be more than happy with the performance, and your worries about further use would be greatly minimized.

As far as the hole in the leg...X files is all I can think of. Who knows.
Unread 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

i love the accubonds! i load them in my 7RUM 270wsm 7mag, and factory from my 270. i have a few animals taken with the accubonds, here are there stories :
coyote about 75 yards, 270 wsm 140 NAB with a MZ of 3250 bullet enters coyotes center of chest, exits just behind shoulder with baseball size exit... coyote doesnt move besides a drop to the ground
7RUM 140 NAB MZ of 3400 buck is about 150 yards running straight away bullet enters left haunch, SMASHES leg bone, travels all the way up the buck, taking out lung, kidney and guts. exits infront of shoulder, 50 cent piece size exit
270 winnie 10 nab federal factory load mountain lion at 20 FEET facing straight away, i shoot lion in the back of the shoulder, totally smashes shoulder, and lung and exits center of the chest with a 50 cent piece size whole.. remeber this is from 20 FEET
same 270 wsm coues whitetail buck 250 yards, shot low in chest breaking shoulders and lungs... dead buck (3 shots) massive destruction on the shoulder and lung and blood every where.

all of these guns shoot accubonds under 1" every time, and put them into 1/2 inch 99% of the time. the wsm puts 3 shots at .184 and the 7RUM 3 shots and .46 i love accubonds and its the main bullet i shoot
77" coues buck, last day 571 yards. .257 Wby. 115 VLD