Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Acceptable Accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Acceptable Accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlhofer View Post
Buuuut all that being said in my humble opinion if a gun don't shoot we'll under controlled conditions it's gonna shoot even worst with buck fever. So why not have it shoot great groups to begain with.( But I was wrong once before )
Well, your wallet group provided just 1/2moa of ACCURACY at 100yds. But what's your capability at distance, and in the field?

Greg Duerr, your notion that you might only have a few seconds to take a shot in the field -is more like trap shooting than long range hunting.
Here, we position ourselves for higher probabilities, and we only take shots within our capabilities.
There is no reason to consider otherwise.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

I am satisfied if I am calling my shot successfully.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Trophy Mule Deer, Im sorry to say dont play by our rules. Some really nice bucks hang close to the Juniper's and wont give you a long calculated shot on your terms. Sometimes they dont exit the junipers or the mahoganys until right at night. In the Juniper sage country I hunt I have seen severl trophy class bucks that only hung right at the tree line and most often you got a window of opportunity of less than 30 seconds. Im a hunter first not a sniper sitting in a ridge waiting for a buck on my terms. You play by their rules and that often means sitting with your back next to a rock watching a bowl where a long shot is 250 yards. I wont limit my possibilities by setting myself up for dissapointment. If long range shots are your thing then by all means stick to Antelope.
Have you ever hunted a huge Aspen bowl, ...........................A good friend of mine shot a state record Mule Deer becuase he waited and watched an openning in the Aspens, his shot was at 75 yards

Kind of like Skeet shooting

If he had only limited himself to 600+ shots he would have an empty place on his wall

Think out of the Box