Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

ABS carbon barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 08:22 AM

ABS carbon barrels

I know there are some gunsmiths and shooters who follow this board that have had firsthand experience with the ABS carbon wrapped barrels. For those that have, I would like your opinion in three areas.

1. Initial accuracy- Do the barrels dial in for accuracy out of the box without unusual difficulty.

2. long term accuracy- How are they shooting now that you have some rounds through them.

3. Overall durability-How is the carbon wrap holding up under hunting conditions.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: ABS carbon barrels

I would have some info for you if I could actually get my hands on it. Was ordered in Dec, promised to get it by the first of the year, then promised by feb 2nd. Still no barrel. Getting frustrated with that little issue.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

Doug,
I have a 7mm STW with a ABS barrel that I like.My only problem with it is fouling,very hard to clean.The one I have has a Douglas liner,the Rock may have been a better choice.One thing I like is how they dissipate heat.I was not sure if the carbon was holding the heat in or not, because the barrel did not heat up like some of the other magnums I shoot,so I took my infrared heat gun out with me the next time I went shooting.I took readings from outside barrel,inside barrel,muzzle and chamber.There was no doubt from the readings that it dissipates heat.

1)Initial accuracy: 1/2-3/4 moa with handloads.

2)Long term accuracy: I have 535 rounds down the tube,accuracy remains about the same(1/2-3/4).

3)Durabilty: No problems so far.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Plus 1 what Blacktail2 said.

Mine is a Rock barrel and I like it fine. These barrels cool great! We took some pics of mine with a thermal imaging camera and posted them here in "338 thunder project". Run a search and you should be able to find them. The pics are on one of the last few pages.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I am dealing with about 6 people who are in the same boat as you Meichele. They can't seem to find Mike and are long past due. I don't know what is going on. I haven't spoken with him in awhile. Hope there are no problems. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

I was wondering if you can just send your blank and have ABS wrap them?. I have an Obermeyer 5R/308/11 twist blank that just gathering dust.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Last time I talked to him, he was turning down any barrel to the right contour to be wrapped but his business has really been kicked into overdrive and he might only be taking Rock barrels now because they are pre-contoured to fit the carbon.
Pull it
Dump it