Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

abs advanced barrel systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: abs advanced barrel systems

grouper......... I liked your thread on the green monster. The thermal imigary was great. The question I have is how does the external temperature relate to the internal temp. I hear the christian wrap is more of a thermal insulator as apposed to the aps conductor type of wrap. Do you or anyone have evidence of that? I am real curious about that. I like the $200 rebore but if you start with a 338 the next range of bullets are .375. I guess if you consider fluting a standard barrel and a carbon barrel they are close. I haven't seen much actual wear data though........... Brad
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the thread and pics.

Christensen's carbon also transfers heat but not to the degree that ABS' does. Christensen's are made more with light weight qualities in mind and the ABS is made with heat transfer as it's primary goal.

All carbon weaves are not the same. Some insulate, some are light, and some are thermal conductors. It is all in the engineering. Carbonman can tell you more about that than me.

In about a month, we will be doing some more testing and thermal imaging with a Christensen along side an ABS for comparison and will be posting the results here.

And that camera was not looking at the carbon material on the outside, it was looking at the stainless steel signature on the inside. Those temps listed were of the steel not the carbon.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

great read [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I was going with the edge but it looks like i am leaning towards the 338-408 light weight. barrel length not sure. maybe 29"-30". what's your thought.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

A 30" bbl would be the shortest i would build in a 338-408, 32" is the best to get all the powder burnt. The extra 2" with a carbon bbl dont amount to much added weight.

29" for the 408 cal
30" for the 375 cal
32" for the 338 cal

Dave

"Let the good times roll"