Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

abs advanced barrel systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

abs advanced barrel systems

i am still trying to have a custom long range hunting rifle built. I am trying to keep the weight down but have a stiff barrel. Has anybody used a rock creek cut rifled barrel carbon fiber wrapped by abs? 338-300 rum 30" barrel. shawn is going to build one for some one, but it will be six months before he has any data; thats to long to wait it would be a year before i have a gun. I think you can use anybodys barrel (like lilja or heart with this abs carbon wrap(?). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] looking forward to any imput. thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: abs advanced barrel systems

This is a pretty interesting thread it also includes some pretty neat thermal imaging (page 20).

goudgrouper's 338 Thunder
Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

special offer
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

I got about half way through that link. Im proud of good grouper for just being able to read that much without getting a headache. He must have had better schooling than me and alot more patience to be able to read that much.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can use anybodys barrel (like lilja or heart with this abs carbon wrap(?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt use a Lilja. They are awesome barrels, but you DO NOT want to have any metal turned off of a Lilja. The proccess Lilja uses will cause the inside diameter to grow as outside diameter is reduced. Rock barrels are made differantly and wont grow when turned. I dont know about Hart.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

I'm not real sure on this, but Mike at ABS said the bbls are not a turned existing barrel. They are made special to his specs, they turn the blank first and then do the boring and rifling. This way no change to the interior of the barrel. After the barrel passes his inspection he then wraps it. The barrel liner is a regular barrel and can be shot without the wrapping applied. There is enough material that if or when you wear out the barrel it can be re-bored to a larger cal. You dont just toss them away! One of these days i will get down there and go through his shop, its only 120 miles from me.
They are super shooters.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

I would highly recommend the ABS barrel for your project. In fact, I wouldn't build a high intensity cartridge on anything else!

Originally, I wanted to have a Krieger barrel wrapped so I asked Mike D. what barrel contour to order to match the contour of the Rock Creek barrels he was using to wrap. We figured out what contour to order but then he told me about Rock Creek barrels. They are made on the same style machine as what Kreiger uses (cut rifling) but Rock uses more passes in shallower cuts which should prove to stress barrels less. So, I ordered a Rock and have never looked back. Great barrels and even better carbon! Sucks the heat right out of the barrel and does it so fast it's scary.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.