Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

900 yard golf ball shoot? What are your opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: 900 yard golf ball shoot? What are your opinions?

I've been to the Boomershoot on years when it worked well... last year I think there was some last minute changes to the mix... lots of hit but no boom... bad idea. Hope Joe got it straightened out for this year.

Are you *sure* the organizers don't know anything about long range shooting... if they've been running this for a couple years, seeing what kind of gear people haul out for this kind of event... I'm thinking they probably know dang well what they are about, and it sounds like it's about making money (500 shots @ $2 each... $1000 take, and they don't have to replace hardly any targets), and not much else if hits are that far and few btwn, not making sure people get something in return for their money and want to come back again the next year. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but this sounds awful fishy to me.

YMMV,

Monte
Old 05-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Well, we had to teach them about the angle the bullet is coming down at at that range (they were kinda shocked to learn that the bullet wasn't still flying flat at 900 yards) and we also had to teach them about MOA. We explained that a suspended 2" target at 900 yards with no backer is the equivalent MOA target of hanging an Advil tablet with monofilament at 100 yards with no paper behind it to see where you missed.

They also learned that the most accurate guns in the world shoot between .1-.3" aggregates at 100 yards so when you expect that kind of accuracy at 9 times that distance, it really just becomes an element of dumb luck if the dynamite is hit.

Anyways, I am going to print off a copy of this thread and email it to the organizers and see if we can't get a few things changed for the better for the November shoot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Well... I still say it sounds odd that these folks have been running a long range shoot of this nature, w/ tiny targets at that range in unusual setups (sounds like hit probability even before this last one was pretty dismal) have *no idea* about basic ballistics, or that *no one* has mentioned this to them before. Like I said, I'm a bit on the pessimistic side, but they could be entirely innocent. Either way, I hope you get them lined out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]