Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

8MM WSM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

8MM WSM?

Just a thought, maybe not.

My first shooting and reloading was for an 8X57 given to me by my Uncle. I since had it rechambered to the 8MM/06. I really like the performance and to this day, even after adding many other calibers to my gun safe, it still remains my pet.

I recently had a 260 Rem rechambered for the WSM case with good success, And I also own a Win Mod 70 Coyote in the 7MM WSM.

Thus my thinking is to build an 8MM based on the WSM in a sporter type of rifle. I am also thinking that this would be a good fit with the 180 gr Barnes X for distances out to 500 yds on most game.

Am I dumb or what? Please feel free to chastise me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] my wife does all the time. But I need to have a spring project to get to whistle pig time.

Thanks for any thoughts and or advice.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:13 AM

Re: 8MM WSM?

1) Shame on you. (get that out of the way.)
2) Go for it! Not sure it would be my pick for 500 yd, but if I had a Yugo with a sporter stock and good bore, I'd damn sure turn the barrel back and rechamber it. A quick and easy magnum sporter. Dies and reamer run you about $250, rechamber maybe $70, so for about $400 you'd be ready to hunt. Definitely a rough and ready elk gun out to 300 if it'll group at all.
It's a damn shame those cases have such a pitiful neck, though. Be nice to reach out to 3.1" with a bit more to hold on to.