Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

8mm Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 8mm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
The last one with the cool name "Mortiferum" (Death's iron) looks like an upgraded 8mm -06 wildcat. Correct? The design out of the Schuler 8 x 68 S is great and tasty! Same as it was in its 7mm version.
Thanks! I try...

I think they would all be fun to shoot. I bet that 8mm Mortiferum would be a fun whitetail cartridge inside of 750 yards with a 180 or 200.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Good lookin cartridges Mud, Looks like you've become an 8 mike mike man

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Good lookin cartridges Mud, Looks like you've become an 8 mike mike man
I'll always still be a 7 mike mike fanatic, but I figure 1 more MM couldn't hurt...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

I've always liked the 8mm's and years back considered doing a wildcat on the 300 Rum case but went with a 300 Rum AI ( similar to the 300 Tommy) and considered it again 2 years ago but went with the 338 Edge instead .... yep, ya guessed it .. bullets and barrel twist were deciding factors..
I'd consider it again by necking down my 338 Wolverine but would love to see a 250 gr long range bullet first ..

I like the idea of an 8mm on the big Lapua case ! great idea and will really hammer big game !
cool name but Mr. Lazzeroni beat ya to it in 1994 when he developed the
8.59 (338) Titan

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input Pro. Yeah, I fear I must rename it. After I posted it I realized I had a brainfart and that John did have a cartridge named that.

Mark, what do you propose we rename it?

Quote:
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thanks for the input Pro. Yeah, I fear I must rename it. After I posted it I realized I had a brainfart and that John did have a cartridge named that.

Mark, what do you propose we rename it?
Why not using the cool name "Mortiferum" for this one with the big Lapua case. Just switch it over. That cartridge will be for sure a real "Death's Iron". Sorry for my interference, but since I'm accompanying the thread I like to contribute. The topic is intriguing me…
Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

Shouldn’t we actually talk more about the more “normal” (magnum-) rounds in 8 mm and a possible increase in their performance? I’m thinking about the majority of people who like to hear about “missiles” and “canons”, but wouldn’t use them because of high costs or fear (recoil…) etc. A perhaps flourishing 8mm community needs more good working “basics”. Just a thought.