Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

8mm Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 8mm Thread

Glad to see this one get revived. I still wish Berger would produce some heavy 8mm VLD bullets, so I could build one.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

How about naming it the 8mm Crimson Tide? It would pay homage to your team and describe the effect of the cartridge on game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Couldn't agree more! Biggest POS ever born. And I can 110% assure you I would NEVER name anything after him. I am Republican to the core.

It is named Bama because I was born & raised here in Alabama, and I am a Universite of Alabama football fan. That's why. Plain and simple.

But I will consider renaming as time goes on and I get more serious about creating it. I'll probably give it a used Latin name, like I do everything else.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've been a fan of the 8mm Rem Mag for years. I had a couple of them put together, one on a factory take off barrel and one on a MRC action and barrel. Neither one was as accurate as I wanted but I finally got a dandy. It is on a stainless 700 action with a 25.5" Rock Creek barrel chambered by G A Precision and sitting in an HS Precision stock. It puts 200 gr Partitions into nice 1" clusters with the first load I tried. So far I have killed one black bear, two deer and a coyote with it. It absolutely hammers game.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Glad to see this one get revived. I still wish Berger would produce some heavy 8mm VLD bullets, so I could build one.
Nice to have you back on your own thread! Jepp, would be great with VLDs for the 8mm according to American needs. Some pages before I posted about some European inventions, tactical so far, but the features are nevertheless very, very interesting. Hope you'll give it a try and read.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo3006 View Post
I've been a fan of the 8mm Rem Mag for years. I had a couple of them put together, one on a factory take off barrel and one on a MRC action and barrel. Neither one was as accurate as I wanted but I finally got a dandy. It is on a stainless 700 action with a 25.5" Rock Creek barrel chambered by G A Precision and sitting in an HS Precision stock. It puts 200 gr Partitions into nice 1" clusters with the first load I tried. So far I have killed one black bear, two deer and a coyote with it. It absolutely hammers game.
I've made similar experiences like you did. I absolutely love the 8mms because of their terminal ballistics, the SD is top. I'm quite sure about that both the 8mmRM and its European cousin 8x68S are some of the best hunting calibers ever. That's of course nothing but personal opinion ... Nowadays we're only missing good bullets for LRH, but help is on its way. I'd really like to see your "treasure"!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

The great American 8mm RemMag at a 1000 yards:
" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Who says all the time that there are no good bullets for 8mmS/323 concerning long -range shooting? The 8mmRM shoots sovereignly out to 1k using ordinary 200gr NAB! 220gr SMK are doing an even better job in 8mmS/323. I personally consider 1k long range, and in any case there are not that many people to find that hit a target at 1k constantly
However, progress is going on, and we (8mm enthusiasts) can soon expect us new special bullets from both Berger and most likely Nosler(LRAB) and others for the purpose of long - range hunting/shooting. Supported by new wildcats like f. ex. 8mmS/26 Nosler the story of the 8mmS/323 as LRH calibre will take a totally different development than before.