Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

8mm Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 8mm Thread

Very interesting indeed. Not much of a hunting application but it looks like a good tactical bullet. It would be interesting to see how it shot against the CE bullets.

If you have any links to videos or articles (in english) I would be interested in seeing them.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Very interesting indeed. Not much of a hunting application but it looks like a good tactical bullet. It would be interesting to see how it shot against the CE bullets.

If you have any links to videos or articles (in english) I would be interested in seeing them.
Of course, here is the first one about the 8x68 Taras and its LR - bullet LM - 102

LM-102

I'll send the one for the Cheytacs with the next post. The LM 101 in 8x70 is still a secret, but it's in action. Lutz Moeller wants to secure his product, because there was a lot of "copying" throughout the last years.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

For the Cheytacs 408

408 Chey Tac Cartridge and Bullet

LM-Class Bullets for windy long Ranges

All about the Cheytac 1022 was in German,sorry. Cheytac 1021 at the top in English. The last link shows other interesting (brass) LR - bullets f. ex. LM - 105 for 338, which won the Lapua Cup and so on.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Love the thread - hope it lasts and stays 'alive' - I've been 8mm curious for years and have always thought the plain-jane 8x57 was under appreciated. I've got a couple projects in various stages right now:

1) an 8x57 woods rifle which will have a red-dot reflex sight on it (similar to a scout rifle) and will shoot 170-180 gr bullets

2) an 8mm-06 improved for 190-200 gr bullets for longer range (as an aside, this will be done in parallel with a 338-06 improved so load development and performance comparison will interesting)

Downside was having to look long and hard to find 8mm sporter barrels
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh-usa View Post
Love the thread - hope it lasts and stays 'alive' - I've been 8mm curious for years and have always thought the plain-jane 8x57 was under appreciated. I've got a couple projects in various stages right now:

1) an 8x57 woods rifle which will have a red-dot reflex sight on it (similar to a scout rifle) and will shoot 170-180 gr bullets

2) an 8mm-06 improved for 190-200 gr bullets for longer range (as an aside, this will be done in parallel with a 338-06 improved so load development and performance comparison will interesting)

Downside was having to look long and hard to find 8mm sporter barrels
Hi! Jepp, you're right about the thread, and there will be hopefully some more people sharing their experiences with us about the fantastic 8mms. All the guys with 8mm standard guns like the 8x57IS (8mm Mauser), or lovely magnums like 8mmRM and 8x68S etc. are friendly invited! The 8x57IS is widely used in Europe and mostly with 180 - 200gr bullets. Use German load data, because the US loads are often of extremely poor performance. That means differences in velocity up to 300ft/s and that's far too much. 8mm (.323) sporter barrels should be relatively easy to find, because we often use Lilja and Krieger!! If you can't get one of those purchase Lothar Walther, that's what many others and me on the old continent prefer.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

I remember a conversation I had with a Winchester-FN researcher a few years back when the new generation of Winchester short mag's were being released and he said that out of all of them, the 325 (8mm) was the most ballistically 'efficient' and the one that they were most excited about. I don't even know if it was a commercial success or not and I did consider buying one, but decided to go with a 8mm-06AI instead.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

In Europe we have a wide variety of potent 8mm rounds both rimmed and not rimmed. If you once get the opportunity and are coming over a used 8x68S, so just run and buy. If not, get yourself a rifle chambered in this calibre. You won't regret it. Looking after even more power and performance you easily can "blow" it up to a 8x68S AI. In the US you'll get brass for it both from Norma and RWS without issues. The great American 8mmRM then would be my other personal choice. While hunting at shorter distances (- 300m) the 8x57IS and 8mm- 06 will do fine and are more than sufficient.