Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

8mm Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 8mm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Due to restrictions (6 guns in total, including shotguns & rifles) I'm considering the purchase of a system rifle ( the Danish Schultz & Larsen) with interchangeable barrels, not now but for 2014. The advantage is to use always the same triggerfeature, stock, mounts and scope(s) if requested. Calibre - frame from 222 to 505 Gibbs, and at least the number of barrels is not limited. Next as you already know will be a 7RM for sure. More than good enough for all from roe to moose at our latitude.
We call those "switch-barrel rifles" down here. It's the same thing as you're describing. You pin the recoil lug to the action after you have it trued, and with a few simple tools you properly setup barrels you can just keep swapping.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
We call those "switch-barrel rifles" down here. It's the same thing as you're describing. You pin the recoil lug to the action after you have it trued, and with a few simple tools you properly setup barrels you can just keep swapping.
For different groups of calibers you often have to change boltheads and/or mags. Examples like Blaser, Mauser 03, S & L and many more. Mostly European brands = restrictions. The good thing is while travelling with only one guncase you've the option between 2 - 3 fully adequate rifles, like 308W, 7RM and 8x68S. Not bad. BTW, haven't seen the 7STW yet, but an extra order would surely be accepted and done!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Are you lookon for STW brass or dies? I might can try to help.

These are from the Norge Midway site.

http://www.midway.no/epages/MidwayNo...3-1414141B5B6E

http://www.midway.no/epages/MidwayNo...0-1414141B0580

http://www.midway.no/epages/MidwayNo...1-1414141B5BB8

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Ha, ha you're really addicted in a positive way! I promise I'll find my way to the 7STW as I said before. You'll be the first getting informed.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Ha, ha you're really addicted in a positive way! I promise I'll find my way to the 7STW as I said before. You'll be the first getting informed.
Just try to help when I can. Any 7STW converts reflects positvely on me, simply because once you go STW, you will ALWAYS keep a 7STW in the gun safe, even if you have other calibers that you use more often.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Bump...

Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

This is meant as revival of a necessary thread about one of the best calibres to find! 8 mm means passion for big game hunting with one of the most capable calibres. We should look after that they will be more good 8 mm guns build in future, and manufacturers construct high performance bullets for LRH, finally.