Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

is the 7wsm dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: is the 7wsm dead?

Go to Gunbroker and search in bolt action rifles, just put shadow in. I THEN CLICK THE PRICE BUTTON TO SEARCH LOWEST PRICE FIRST. When you get by the featured listings onto the 2nd page you'll see 3 7mmWSM shadows today for less than $500. You can try other search variations too, like WSM or model 70 or post, there are probably more, they come up quite often. I see them starting to creep up in price lately. If you get the 300WSM, you can always re-barrel to 7WSM. There are some barrels there too. They are a great value. They come up all the time. Places like Walmart were selling lots of them for years. The actions are push feed or controlled round push feeds post 64 actions. I like the 2003-2004 models of the model 70's, great actions. Most are ADL blind magazines, I like the simplicity of ADL bling mags for carrying and hunting. They can be tack drivers, it is a good start for a build. Just depends on how far you want to go accuracy wise. Great starting point for a 7mmWSM, the action and caliber are great, real keeper in my opinion. The 7mmWSM Failsafe ammunition is pretty good too and a source of brass. It's on Gunbroker typically use the ammunition search category.

Good Luck...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

I love my Rbros 7 WSM, it shoots like a dream. Low recoil and excellent accuracy! (DE break) I am getting a 7mm mag soon, so I will be able to shoot them side by side and see if any differences exist just to satisfy my curiosity. I have heard they are extremey close, should be interesting.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Not to hijack your thread but "Big Green" has eliminated their 7mmSAUM rifles from their online catalog too.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

My custom barreled 7 WSM leaves a 7 REM Mag in the dust. No they aren't equal .....
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Gold Member

sorry but loaded to the same pressure in the same length barrel and im not buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
My custom barreled 7 WSM leaves a 7 REM Mag in the dust. No they aren't equal .....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

The marketing ploy that the short fat case somehow burns powder "more efficiently"is comming unraveled. Like PO Ackley and other proved years ago ,if you put 70 grs of powder in two differently shaped cases of the same capacity you will get the same velocity (or very close). It sold a few guns but I think you are going to see a lot of new gun buyers go back to the 7mm Rem and the 300 Win because performance is on par with the short mags and ammo is availible everywhere at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the short mags. If you have a short mag and are happy with it, Great ! I suggest you take in a supply of ammo or brass because 5-10 years from now you may have trouble finding it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

amen to that. Biggest reason the short mags advertise such high velocitys is there loaded to 60000 psi. Load the 300 win or 7mm rem to those pressures and see what you get. Also ive found loading for my buddys 300wsm that when loaded up to max book loads brass life is short. Ive seen his brass fail after only 3 loadings. Now after saying this ill add that i just myself bought a 300 wsm and am thinking on a 7wsm. Why? Because i dont have one and its something new to play with and shoot deer with. I go into it with open eyes though and dont expect my short mag to run with a 7stw!!! To back up snowman there was just an article in handloader where they took the same powder charges and put them in a 300wsm and a 300 H&H (just the case to be the exact opposite of this short case crap) and got about identical velocitys in both. Nope, sorry guys but no magic here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The marketing ploy that the short fat case somehow burns powder "more efficiently"is comming unraveled. Like PO Ackley and other proved years ago ,if you put 70 grs of powder in two differently shaped cases of the same capacity you will get the same velocity (or very close). It sold a few guns but I think you are going to see a lot of new gun buyers go back to the 7mm Rem and the 300 Win because performance is on par with the short mags and ammo is availible everywhere at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the short mags. If you have a short mag and are happy with it, Great ! I suggest you take in a supply of ammo or brass because 5-10 years from now you may have trouble finding it.