Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mmWSM project completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

7mmWSM project completed

I just finished my 7mmWSM project and thought i'd share some pix. and info.
Blueprinted Savage 12 single shot action.20 MOA Ken Farrel base bedded to action.8" one piece aluminum barrel block.Krieger four groove 1-9 30" tube.Elk Ridge rainbow camo 3-1/2" bench rest stock.I am waiting for funds for a better scope and rings(all donations accepted [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) but for now I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 and burris signature rings.All gunsmithing done by me for me.And this is what she looks like.

[ 05-14-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]
Old 05-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mmWSM project completed

cont...from previous post.

first three shot group after 30 shot barrel break in.Yeah three shots..I chickened out.
conditions:15 mph gusty winds from the 9 o'clock position.

five shot group shot at 700 yds. 3-1/2" hor. x 1" vert.
conditiond: same as above.

load information: Winchester 7mmWSM brass.necks turned just to uniformity.
Bullets: Hornady 162 Amax
Primers: Federal Gold medel match 215.
powder: Ramshot magnum 75grs.
Velocities measured with my pact cronoghraph:3,240 fps.
no pressure signs in my gun.
will post more load info as I discover it.

This has been an extremely fun project!My first barrel block project.
308nate

P.S. By the way my wife looks better then my guns any day! And she also supports my gun and reloading addictions...she can even out shoot me sometimes....but don't tell Her I said that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

P.s.this is the second time I posted all this tonight.The first time around I didn't know that you could only have 8 pix per post so I lost all my info [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2004, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

308 Nate

Good looking gun. assume 9 twist barrel there?

Try the JLK 168 BC .690) and 180 BC .738) when you can.

head down to Iowa when you can to shoot 1k BR and plan on shooting the Nationals on Labor Day at the range in Ohio. they will also have a mile match.

BH
Old 05-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

hey nate...
i have a 9" twist 28" krieger on a remy 700 7WSM.
i have been shooting berger180's and 140 nosler bt's for my best accuracy.. this is on a hs precission vertical grip adjustable lop/cheekrest.
how many shots do you expect to get out of your barrel.. i am up to around 550 or so shots(have to look at my book) and i am getting quite a bit of copper.. whatam i up against.. this barrel is shooting better now than it ever has but i am getting copper now. am i on the barrels downside or what???
Brien
Old 05-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

forgot to say that is one dandy rig you have there.. Brien
Old 05-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Nate,

Ours almost look like twins! It turned out very nice, great job! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Looks like it fits in there like it grew there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Did you machine the block? Is the bore in your block 1.2, or 1.25, a little smaller than the 1.35 in mine?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Brien,
thanks for the compliment.
first of all I'm a fairly new gunsmith and this is my first experience with the 7mmwsm
but I will be dissapointed if acuraccy drops off before 2000 rounds.As far as copper showing up now I would not say that is a sign of your barrel being on it's way down.(thinking out loud)In my experience if a barrel is cared for properly they only get smoother. is it possible for a barrel to get to smooth and have more surface area touching the bullet perhaps pulling more copper off.In my mind machining marks running true with the rifling is not a bad thing but other obstructions like copper deposits or machining marks that don't run parralel with rifling will cause excessive copper fouling take it for what it's worth and correct me if I'm wrong, hope to never stop learning. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brent,
thanks for the compliment.
Yes, I did all the machining on the block.The bore is 1.25 for 10" then straight taper to .950 at 30"
308nate [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]