Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm WSM too big for 12 yr old son? 270 better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

7mm WSM too big for 12 yr old son? 270 better?

It is time to buy my son his first rifle. He is small, about 80 lbs. I found a really good buy on a Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm WSM. The gun super light weight which is what I think he needs for his small stature. I also found a .270 in a Ruger , wood stock & blued bbl.

With 140gr. Bullets, it looks the 2 are pretty close ballisticaly. I am thinking the 7 would better long term as we plan to hunt most every thing in N.A.. If I was to load it down some, do you think it could be manageable recoil wise?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm WSM too big for 12 yr old son? 270 better?

If you are reloading, you should be able to load some 120gr bullets pretty light and it should be pretty mild. I think the 7mm will be a better choice because you have a much larger selection of bullets to choose from. If you use loads that have 15lb's or so of recoil, you should be fine. It is easier to download a smaller cartridge. If you get the Savage, you could invest in a second barrel and boltface adn he could do a lot of shooting and get used to the rifle (even just use it single shot). You could get a 223 barrel and boltface and he could shoot the heck out of it, then after he is really comfortable with the rifle, you could put the wsm barrel on with some light loads and work on up. You'll save the wear on the wsm barrel and it will pay for itself as it will be much cheaper to shoot and he can shoot more.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

7mm wsm. No Brainer
Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

I'd definatly go with the 7 WSM, he'll grow into it, that is if he doesn't like it to begin with . I wish I would have bought my daughter something bigger for her first centerfire, I got her a stevens 200 in .223 when she was 9, kinda wish I would have gotten a .308 and reloaded light loads for her. But that gives us a project to do together, rebarrel it. You won't regret getting the WSM

Zeb
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

I too would go 7 wsm. You can load it down to start with and also add a good recoil pad, kick-ezz or decellorater..I just the decell, on my 300 wsm and it makes a huge differance..
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Bronze Member

I think the calibers are apples for apples since you reload. either one can be loaded down to a manageable level for him. I would recomend the savage over the ruger if it weighs less he will feel more comfortable handling the gun. my sister used a friends sendaro in 7-mag she is small framed and it worked well for her using front and rear rests because it was fairly heavy. My primary rifle I aquired when I was 14 is a savage 110 blued/ synthetic in 30-06. using 150 gr factory loads the recoil was about 25lbs. It was fairly painful to shoot at that age. However reducing the loads would have solved the problem for me at that age had I known how to reload then. I would highly recomend starting out with the lightest loads and bullets for the gun to practice with. It will help build your sons confidence and be a fun experience for him. hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

I own a 7mm wsm in a winchester rifle, and a .270 in a remington rifle. There is really no felt difference for me. I would go with the 7mm wsm as well.