Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm WSM recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

7mm WSM recoil

I have a Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM. It has a bad barrel flip when fired. Does anyone have any suggestions for taming this problem. I know a muzzle break will help some, but I care for all the noise from a muzzle break. I am already getting hard of hearing.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm WSM recoil

Your rifle pretty light? 6-7lbs? You could look at a different stock configuration.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpc629 View Post
I have a Winchester 70 in 7mm WSM. It has a bad barrel flip when fired. Does anyone have any suggestions for taming this problem. I know a muzzle break will help some, but I care for all the noise from a muzzle break. I am already getting hard of hearing.
Stock fit can make a big difference, a guy needs hearing protection regardless of muzzle brake or not so IMO might as well enjoy the benefits of one.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

I put a LimbSaver butt pad on my 338WM lite 6.6lb before I ever shot it and I don't use a brake.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

hate to be a smart ass but trade it for a 243. Its a magnum and that means it shoots a bullet at a bit higher velocity and its going to kick a bit. Put some time in with it to get used to it and ill be youll be fine. As magnums go thats a pretty mild recoiling round unless you have it in a 5 lb gun.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

swpc629

Somtimes bedding and getting the rifle in the stock right helps with the way the gun tracks as it comes back. In some of the factory guns the barrel is running downhill in the stock and either left or right and that seems to make the barrel jump up and maybe to the left or right rather than tracking straight back. A good brake with some top ports helps but my personal 7MM WSM
hunting rig has not got a brake, I prefer it that way with cases that hold under 65 garins of powder.

Steve

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpc629 View Post

As others mention recoil pad to changing stock to add brake plus good hearing protection.

what kind of rest you shooting off?