Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm WSM Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

7mm WSM Help

Hey all,
I have a 7mm WSM A-bolt. I have only tried 7mm WSM winchester super X's which I am only getting maybe 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Can anyone recommend a different brand/load? I will be hunting white tail deer only. Last years hunt went fine, but I was only shooting out to 200 yards. I do not reload so working my own load is out of the question....for now.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm WSM Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Hey all,
I have a 7mm WSM A-bolt. I have only tried 7mm WSM winchester super X's which I am only getting maybe 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Can anyone recommend a different brand/load? I will be hunting white tail deer only. Last years hunt went fine, but I was only shooting out to 200 yards. I do not reload so working my own load is out of the question....for now.

If the rifle is new, It will need at least 50 or 60 rounds shot through it to get it broke in.

Use the super x to do this. Shoot 3 to 5 rounds and clean with a bronze brush and repeat
the process.(Factory chrome Molly barrels need more break-in than custom barrels because
they are not lapped.

You will know when you are close to getting it broke in when it cleans with only 3 or 4 patches.

Once it is well broke in It will probably shoot much better with the Super x ammo. If not ,try
the Winchester supreme Ballistic silver tips, They have a premium bullet (Nosler).

Federal and Corbon are the only other ammo making the 7 wsm that I know of ,but I have not
tried ether of them.

You also may try (After break-in) torquing the action to 35 inch/pounds and shooting, then increase
the torque to 40 inch/pounds if it is a walnut stock don't exceed 45 inch/pounds. If it has a bedding
block don't exceed 65 inch/pounds.

If this doesn't improve it, bedding is the next step.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm WSM Help

I love the gun and It is definietly good out to 200 yards which is typically what I hunt anyways, but I would love more confidence in the rifle out to 350-400 yards. I think it may have about 40-50 rounds through it so far. I will keep shooting it. As far as trying other rounds for it....I was totally surprised how my savage was terrible with certain rounds but amazing with the remmington core-loc so I was hoping it would be the same with this A-BOLT.