Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm SAUM Wildcat!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm SAUM Wildcat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckclimbing View Post
Cal-

Is there any way to know if the amounts of the different powders you ran will actually fit in the case? Also, if it is not too much trouble could you run Hodgdon 4831sc through there, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Travis
Sure--I'll run Quickload for your case, Travis. What dimensions do you want me to run on the following list (SAAMI or modified) so I can get the best results? 180 gr. Bergers, right?

1. Shoulder angle.
2. Shoulder pushback.
3. Body taper.
4. Case trim length.
5. COAL

We've talked about changing some or all of these from SAAMI 7mm SAUM in this thread. Trim length doesn't really affect the results but I'd like to have it so I can play with seating depth with various bullets, if desired.

I got a deal on a NIB Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 338 Mag on AuctionArms. It should arrive at my FFL any day, but I'm moving and won't have much time to work on it for several months and probably won't even have it ready for this year's hunting season (which will also probably be a miss for me:(). I don't care about the ugly stock because I plan to put a McMillan on it--probably an A3, but now I wish I'd taken a close look at the M401A1 (HTG) and A1-3 at this year's SHOT show too. I'm happy with my two other Krieger barrels and will probably go that route again in 28 inches.

Now that I have the action that I wanted ("push-controlled" round feed "Classic") but in long action, I won't be hurting for mag length. I just snagged two 10-rd 300 Win Mag AICS mags when they popped-up on Midway for only a few hours off of backorder. I also just ordered the CDI bottom metal and a modified 5-rounder 338 Lapua mag for hunting and to use as a template to modify my 10-rd mags (as suggested by Jeff at CDI). Hopefully, I can get both 5-rd and 10-rd long magnum mags to feed 7mm SAUM!

So I'm not quite set yet but I'm on my way! By the time I shoot this project, my family and I will be in N. ID. or MT. I quit my day job, started a business and we're getting out of the city!

Last edited by calinb; 03-27-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: CDI recommendation and update
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

I'd forgotten about this program:

Quickdesign info

If it works as well as Quickload, I'd like to have it. Sadly, like Quickload, it's also expensive!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have QuickDesign but it's a waste of money IMO.
RCBS.LOAD has 'Cartridge Design' within it that is superior to any other source I've found.

No matter what though, a case will need H20 capacity measured for final numbers.
This is easy enough with a fireformed-unsized case.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I have QuickDesign but it's a waste of money IMO.
RCBS.LOAD has 'Cartridge Design' within it that is superior to any other source I've found.

No matter what though, a case will need H20 capacity measured for final numbers.
This is easy enough with a fireformed-unsized case.
Thanks, Mikecr. I'll check out RCBS.

We don't have any cases yet so preliminary numbers is all we can play with.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

fyi, one of my biggest issues with my 300wsm is the short action. If I was to build a custom I would fit it with a long action to allow for long bullets to be seated out.. utilizing case capacity for the heavy High bc bullets... oh and to allow for feeding out of a repeater.

food for thought.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
fyi, one of my biggest issues with my 300wsm is the short action. If I was to build a custom I would fit it with a long action to allow for long bullets to be seated out..
My gunsmith solved this one for me by lengthening the mag for my WSM Browning short action. Original mag length was something like 2.93...Now they are 3.050

In fact he made 2 of these for me. I could part with one I guess.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

That is a generous offer, but I shoot a Tikka. I think if I was building a custom I would still use a long action... I would like to seat the 180-190 class bullet just so the bottom flushes out in the sholder of the case. I think that would require an additional 1/4" or so (if memory serves)

thanks.