close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

7mm SAUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13
7mm SAUM

I have a lead on a 7MM SAUM Remington 700. It has a stainless barrel. It has a Leupold 6-18 scope on it. Nice gun, fired 40 times or so. I am curious on whether I should pursue it? My understanding it is a short action gun, so is it at all possible to rebarrel it to something more common if ammo gets too hard to find? Like a 308 Win? It is coming with 100 rounds of fired brass, and probably 40 rounds of factory Remington ammo.
What should I pay for it? Its in excellent condition.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 6
    Re: 7mm SAUM

    The 7mm SAUM is a great cartridge and once you have some brass, you can load all the ammo you need. The 700 is also the action to have if you do decide to rebarrel. You will be limited to short action cartridges with a magnum bolt face (SAUM's or WSM's) unless you replace the bolt.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,921
    Re: 7mm SAUM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
    I have a lead on a 7MM SAUM Remington 700. It has a stainless barrel. It has a Leupold 6-18 scope on it. Nice gun, fired 40 times or so. I am curious on whether I should pursue it? My understanding it is a short action gun, so is it at all possible to rebarrel it to something more common if ammo gets too hard to find? Like a 308 Win? It is coming with 100 rounds of fired brass, and probably 40 rounds of factory Remington ammo.
    What should I pay for it? Its in excellent condition.
    Thanks!
    The 7mm SAUM has a magnum bolt face, so if you re barrel,ed it it could be any short magnum without any bolt work.

    The 7 SAUM is a good round and if you reload there should be no problems (Any more than with
    any other components)getting bullets and primers.

    If it is a factory rifle with a stainless barrel and action, It should be worth anywhere from $500.00
    to $700.00 depending on the condition without the scope. the scope, if in good condition should be
    $400.00 +.

    If it is an after market barrel add $150.00 to $300.00 to the price depending on the make of
    the barrel.

    You do the math and see if it is in or below those prices. I would not pay more than that for it
    in any configuration.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 13
    Re: 7mm SAUM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonehuntinmeyer View Post
    The 7mm SAUM is a great cartridge and once you have some brass, you can load all the ammo you need. The 700 is also the action to have if you do decide to rebarrel. You will be limited to short action cartridges with a magnum bolt face (SAUM's or WSM's) unless you replace the bolt.
    Good to know thanks! I think i can get a really good deal on it. Going sunday to shoot it i think. A good round for 1000 yards in target? Thanks!
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 13
    Re: 7mm SAUM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    The 7mm SAUM has a magnum bolt face, so if you re barrel,ed it it could be any short magnum without any bolt work.

    The 7 SAUM is a good round and if you reload there should be no problems (Any more than with
    any other components)getting bullets and primers.

    If it is a factory rifle with a stainless barrel and action, It should be worth anywhere from $500.00
    to $700.00 depending on the condition without the scope. the scope, if in good condition should be
    $400.00 +.

    If it is an after market barrel add $150.00 to $300.00 to the price depending on the make of
    the barrel.

    You do the math and see if it is in or below those prices. I would not pay more than that for it
    in any configuration.

    J E CUSTOM
    Thanks. He said he'd give me the dies for it. The gun is really clean. Like Perfect. I think i'll be able to get gun and scope under $1000. He want's it to get used. I would like to get into reloading if i buy it.
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 13
    Re: 7mm SAUM

    Should be buying a Remington 700 within the next week. May be a little longer. The plan is to shoot it this Sunday. If I like it I'll buy it.
    It's a 7mm SAUM. Stainless barrel and Leupold vx-2 6-18 scope. Shot 100 times or less. Really clean shape. Not sure what length barrel.. didn't measure. Just looking for a long range target gun. Aside from ammo being absurd for it, what is it's max effective range, given a good shooter?
    It's $700 with 100 empty cases, 30-40 rounds of Remington ammo, and the dies for it.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC