Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm RUM vs other mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm RUM vs other mags

I didn't make my comments towards you Nate. Just thinking outloud regarding practice and saving a barrel. Your practice IS the shooting. If you don't have it down by now with the sheer numbers of animals you cull no amount of practice is going to help.

Unread 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

ok, someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong, with my LR rigs I shoot 3 rounds a week sept thru nov to get ready for deer season, my loadwork is done so its me that needs tweaking, now in order to judge wind it does take practice correct?
Now if I can correctly judge wind to 600 yards with an accurate 223 and a 55 gr bullet with a BC of .246, then is it more or less diffacult with a 7mm bullet with a BC of .62?
This is how I do it and I manage to kill a few head of game, several beyond 1K with a 7mm.
RR
Unread 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

I wouldn't feel comfortable culling game at 600-700 yards with a .223 in 14mph wind. Sorry, I should have been more clear, the practice I was talking about is done via the culling lesser game species. I have also stated, much earlier in the thread, that clients like to use my LR rigs as an introduction to new hunting techiques- getting away from the factroy type packages. I enjoy letting the clients use the 7mmRUM rifle but as Kirby stated, I have to face facts that it won't last more than a season as it is not designed for this. One of the aspects of teaching clients about LR hunting is that with first hand experience, clients immediately realise that a well tuned LR rig is often a more ethical killing tool than the factory rifles they have brought along. The guys learn a lot very quickly and have a lot of fun in the process.
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Ridgerunner:

Yes some big chamberings have less drift but either you can dope the wind with any reasonably high BC bullet and a rifle or you cannot. No one is saying shoot a low BC bullet at 500 plus yards but you can sure get some good practice in with smaller cases. I use a 284 and 7 rem mag in sporter packages for field work and some target practice. A 6 BR with a 105-115 VLD would be another great one. I fail to see how using a slightly "lesser" chambering doesn't help with the practice and save the LR rig that has a short barrel life.
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
ok, someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong, with my LR rigs I shoot 3 rounds a week sept thru nov to get ready for deer season, my loadwork is done so its me that needs tweaking, now in order to judge wind it does take practice correct?
Now if I can correctly judge wind to 600 yards with an accurate 223 and a 55 gr bullet with a BC of .246, then is it more or less diffacult with a 7mm bullet with a BC of .62?
This is how I do it and I manage to kill a few head of game, several beyond 1K with a 7mm.
RR
Correct, if you can judge wind with a lesser caliber/bullet combo then it will be easier to make that same shot with your long range rig.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Correct, if you can judge wind with a lesser caliber/bullet combo then it will be easier to make that same shot with your long range rig.

Steve
I have very little experience shooting in wind. I must be lucky to hunt in low wind environments.

Seems like people are posting on how to extend barrel life by substituting a non-barrel burner for practice shots and switching over to the high intensity rounds for the actual hunting. I may be missing something due to lack of experience with the wind, but wouldn't you still need to practice with the hunting rig in the wind to get good with wind doping? BCs and wind drift would be quite a bit different - no?
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I have very little experience shooting in wind. I must be lucky to hunt in low wind environments.

Seems like people are posting on how to extend barrel life by substituting a non-barrel burner for practice shots and switching over to the high intensity rounds for the actual hunting. I may be missing something due to lack of experience with the wind, but wouldn't you still need to practice with the hunting rig in the wind to get good with wind doping? BCs and wind drift would be quite a bit different - no?
The lower bc bullet mean that you have to be more accurate with your dope in order to hit the target. The lower bc bullet is more effected by the wind and drop than the high bc bullet. So when you go to the higher bc bullet and use your same ability to judge wind and distance that you developed with inferior equipment, you will be even closer to the center. In other words, the poorer bc bullet needs more exact dope to hit the target. Like learning to judge yardage using a slow bow. I forces you to be with in a yard or two, in your guess, or suffer a miss.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.